Sounding off

MaddieJ

Sep 1, 2017
I feel like sounding off. I know this feeling of tiredness and frustration will go away but just now I am finding it difficult to cope. I have learnt so much through reading and listening to advice about Dementia over the last two years. My OH has been re-diagnosed this year with LBD after his earlier diagnosis of mixed Altziemers and Vascular dementia. This means I’m learning more.

I love him dearly most of the time. He is 69, forthright, eats well, is mobile and doesn’t present any pointed physical attributes. When we go to groups people seem to assume that I am the Cared-for-Person not him as I look so haggard. He has terrible memory and needs help from me to get him through the day successfully. I am tasked with deciding what activities to do as he rarely has a preference even when offered a choice of two and I spend my time taking him out to various places or dementia groups or just a run in the car or out for a walk. He doesn’t think there is anything wrong with him and so we do not mention dementia for chance it upsets him. He wants to help with household chores and can manage some. Not on his own but under my supervision. He does get confused and needs assistance to find things and I answer his many questions and when all seems not right reassure him. He gets lost in his head in the evenings and doesn’t recognise where he is and what is happening to him. He sees thing so differently and can get very upset. I know things could be much worse.

Yesterday after we had my daughter and her family round for tea, they were getting ready to go home when he asked me when we were going. I reassured him and said later. Then the evening was spent going out and in the house. This happens on many evenings. I find he does get less confused and accepts our house as ours after a few trips out either in the car or walking round the block. If he doesn’t settle, I tell him we will be safe here until morning and if this calms him feel pleased. I managed to get him to bed eventually and gave him his bedtime tablet last night, thinking all will be OK again in the morning. It usually is. However, this morning when he woke at 5am (often his start time if not 4am) he was still wanting to go home and was vicious and nasty in his language, being aggressive one minute and pitiful and upset the next. Blaming me, he repeatedly said I was the reason for his anxiety because I would not help him to get home or to work or to the office. Whilst I cope fairly well in the evenings when this is happening but so early in the morning it got to me. I was so tired and couldn’t think what to say to him as everything I tried, re-assuring or otherwise, was wrong. I was determined I wasn’t going out and about at that time and he was as determined to make me. I felt I had had enough. He has always been the one in control before this all happened and I was happy to go along. Now he needs me to take control, which I do in every way. When his delusions start, he departs from reality and I find that so hard to deal with.

I am so exhausted all the time. My daughter helps when she can but she has two young boys to care for and works so is unable to do as much as she would like. I am trying to arrange a sitter once a fortnight so I can get time off but I am not sure he will accept someone so do worry about that. I’m just stressed out. I know there are probably many threads like this and I do read talking point and the comments quite regularly. I just wanted to sound off somewhere. Thanks for listening.

Tomorrow is another day!!!

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
I feel like sounding off. I know this feeling of tiredness and frustration will go away but just now I am finding it difficult to cope. I have learnt so much through reading and listening to advice about Dementia over the last two years. My OH has been re-diagnosed this year with LBD after his earlier diagnosis of mixed Altziemers and Vascular dementia. This means I’m learning more.

I love him dearly most of the time. He is 69, forthright, eats well, is mobile and doesn’t present any pointed physical attributes. When we go to groups people seem to assume that I am the Cared-for-Person not him as I look so haggard. He has terrible memory and needs help from me to get him through the day successfully. I am tasked with deciding what activities to do as he rarely has a preference even when offered a choice of two and I spend my time taking him out to various places or dementia groups or just a run in the car or out for a walk. He doesn’t think there is anything wrong with him and so we do not mention dementia for chance it upsets him. He wants to help with household chores and can manage some. Not on his own but under my supervision. He does get confused and needs assistance to find things and I answer his many questions and when all seems not right reassure him. He gets lost in his head in the evenings and doesn’t recognise where he is and what is happening to him. He sees thing so differently and can get very upset. I know things could be much worse.

Yesterday after we had my daughter and her family round for tea, they were getting ready to go home when he asked me when we were going. I reassured him and said later. Then the evening was spent going out and in the house. This happens on many evenings. I find he does get less confused and accepts our house as ours after a few trips out either in the car or walking round the block. If he doesn’t settle, I tell him we will be safe here until morning and if this calms him feel pleased. I managed to get him to bed eventually and gave him his bedtime tablet last night, thinking all will be OK again in the morning. It usually is. However, this morning when he woke at 5am (often his start time if not 4am) he was still wanting to go home and was vicious and nasty in his language, being aggressive one minute and pitiful and upset the next. Blaming me, he repeatedly said I was the reason for his anxiety because I would not help him to get home or to work or to the office. Whilst I cope fairly well in the evenings when this is happening but so early in the morning it got to me. I was so tired and couldn’t think what to say to him as everything I tried, re-assuring or otherwise, was wrong. I was determined I wasn’t going out and about at that time and he was as determined to make me. I felt I had had enough. He has always been the one in control before this all happened and I was happy to go along. Now he needs me to take control, which I do in every way. When his delusions start, he departs from reality and I find that so hard to deal with.

I am so exhausted all the time. My daughter helps when she can but she has two young boys to care for and works so is unable to do as much as she would like. I am trying to arrange a sitter once a fortnight so I can get time off but I am not sure he will accept someone so do worry about that. I’m just stressed out. I know there are probably many threads like this and I do read talking point and the comments quite regularly. I just wanted to sound off somewhere. Thanks for listening.

Hi MaddieJ:

Complain away, we hear you. Last night I was so exhausted I just wanted to call in sick today but then I realized I couldn't because I have to take care of my husband. I often wonder who will take care of us when we need help. :):):) We all need hugs & to feel appreciated. So here's many hugs & lots of love coming your way.:):):):):):)

Tomorrow is another day!!!

Hi MaddieJ

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh @MaddieJ - sound off all you like. I quite understand as Im not so good in the mornings either. I usually manage to get up before OH and have a pot of tea before the day starts, but today I overslept and only got up when OH did. He was downstairs, eaten his breakfast and demanding that I catheterise him (which is followed by showering him and then putting cream on his back and drops in his ears) and I just wanted to sit there with my pot of tea..... At least it wasnt 5.00am - I dont think I would be able to even make my tea at that time!

Would he accept it if you told him that it is Sunday/his day off, so he can have a lie in?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’m glad you’re trying to arrange some time for yourself @MaddieJ. I certainly couldn’t have carried on without a break when I was caring for my dad.

I wonder if the hot weather is making your OH more confused. I found that giving my dad a drink normally sorted him out in the heat.

MaddieJ

Sep 1, 2017
Oh @MaddieJ - sound off all you like. I quite understand as Im not so good in the mornings either. I usually manage to get up before OH and have a pot of tea before the day starts, but today I overslept and only got up when OH did. He was downstairs, eaten his breakfast and demanding that I catheterise him (which is followed by showering him and then putting cream on his back and drops in his ears) and I just wanted to sit there with my pot of tea..... At least it wasnt 5.00am - I dont think I would be able to even make my tea at that time!

Would he accept it if you told him that it is Sunday/his day off, so he can have a lie in?
Thanks for listening. Bless you for telling me how it is for you today. I feel that you have it tougher as there is more going on with your OH. Sending love.
I have in the past used the Sunday response and it has worked on occasion but lately he has questioned me how I know that it is Sunday. He has an answer or question for everything when he is in certain moods.
Tonight has been a lot better and I am hoping to sleep past 5am in the morning. Here's hoping.

MaddieJ

Sep 1, 2017
I’m glad you’re trying to arrange some time for yourself @MaddieJ. I certainly couldn’t have carried on without a break when I was caring for my dad.

I wonder if the hot weather is making your OH more confused. I found that giving my dad a drink normally sorted him out in the heat.
Thank you so much. I tried suggesting food and drink but he refused but thank you for your reply. This a very strange path we all are on. It's the same path but meanders different ways. Yet it is comforting to hear from others and to know we care even though we are all struggling. Thank you for listening. Tonight has been better.

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
Hi MaddieJ:

Sound off all you want, it's good for the soul and for all of the carers. My apologies I wanted to send this earlier but one thing lead to another & another & another. So here I am half a day later. Last night I was so exhausted from chasing and repeating and working and repeating and repeating that I thought I wanted to call in sick today and then I remembered I have to look after my husband and do all the repeating, running, house cleaning, etc. because if I don't who will. I often wonder who will look after me when I need looking after.:):):):):) Take care of yourself. Many hugs & lots of love sent your way. Keep posting & sound off any time you want, there will always be someone reading & responding.:):):):):):):)