Hot weather

Olliebeak

Sep 13, 2014
Buckinghamshire
My OH is always cold. Today it is 28 degrees outside. He has gone for his afternoon nap, fully dressed (though he has actually taken his vest off this week!), under a winterweight duvet and wearing the thermal beanie hat that he always wears in bed! He’s says his bald head gets cold. Yesterday evening he put a sweater on while it was still really warm and will close the windows at the slightest breath of cool air.

Is this obsession with being cold a normal part of Alzheimer’s or is it a genuine loss of ability to control his own body temperature?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband was exactly the same. Hat, gloves, scarf and rug over his knees in the car in the hottest of weather. I’m sitting next to him in the driving seat in tea shirt and sandals, we really did look an odd couple.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes dad keeps shutting windows and I keep opening them. It has been the same for the last two summers. I leave the room and when I come back the window is closed.

I don't like the heat and I have given him a jumper to wear.

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
I think this is symptomatic with Alzheimer’s.
I spend my days opening windows and doors and OH follows me and closes them. The conservatory is like a hot house and, yes, OH has a rug on his knees! I have just invested in some blinds that although white completely block out the heat from the sun so now I can keep my side of the room cool!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I've just been to see mum and take her out for a coffee . I'm in cropped leggings, sleeveless top and sandals. Mum was wearing thermal leggings, a skirt, t-shirt, cardigan, winter coat, socks shoes and a beret. She kept on wanting to find me a cardigan.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum was the same. Looking back now, one of the first signs of her Alzheimers was when she started to complain that my house was cold when she visited. Up until then she always said what a lovely warm house it was.

Olliebeak

Sep 13, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Thanks all - clearly not unusual then. Like Vic 10 and Duggies girl, we play the opening and closing doors and windows game. I’m thinking maybe I will make him a muff for his cold hands

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Thanks all - clearly not unusual then. Like Vic 10 and Duggies girl, we play the opening and closing doors and windows game. I’m thinking maybe I will make him a muff for his cold hands
For Christmas last year I bought him a faux fur electric throw....best present ever! I don’t have to turn up the heating (in winter) and he controls how hot he needs it to be!