Attendnce Allowance

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Applied for 3rd April, but haven't had a decision yet. I know they have received it because I got the LPA back and a holding letter around week 6 saying they would be in contact once a decision has been made.

Just wondered how long have others waited on average to hear if they havevbeen successful?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I applied for higher rate for my wife in January this year. Having not heard by the end of March I telephoned and was told that the lead time for claims was 7-13 weeks and as this was week 12 I should hear soon. I did get confirmation about 10 days later with a lump sum for backdated allowance paid into the bank around the same time.

I would say that your waiting time is probably within bounds @RosettaT but you could telephone to ask if your wait goes much beyond 13 weeks.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I applied last year and remember it seeming very quick, so just went to have a look at the dates. I applied on 2nd May and the letter confirming entitlement to the higher rate arrived on 11th June - so it was indeed quick. I think it must just be very variable. Fingers crossed you get the letter next week. And yes, it gets backdated to the day you applied.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I applied for dad over a year ago and he got turned down twice. He only got it when his cancer nurse put a special form in for him because he has a terminal illness and no it was not backdated to his original claim only to the date of the form provided by his nurse.

It took a long time I know that much.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Update:

I rang the AA office on Tuesday and was told the claim had been done and the paperwork was in the post.

Not having received anything by today (Friday) I rang them again after looking in to it they have told me the claim has been denied on the 20th June because only the front page of the LPA was sent with the application so was declined as defective.

AgeUK helped with the form and said the only the front page was required. I queried this but was assured there wouldn't be a problem. I know another agency at the time had only required a copy of the front page so didn't think to much about it.

The lady in the AA office said they had requested the full LPA in writing but as they hadn't received it declined the claim - that is understandable. However I never received a request for the full LPA only a letter dated 27 th May apologising for the delay and I would be informed of the decision when they had made one.
I have now sent a certified copy and stated under the circumstances I hope the previous application would still be valid and could be expedited.

So beware if AgeUK (or any other agency for that matter) say only the front page of the LPA is required send the whole document anyway.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Update:

I rang the AA office on Tuesday and was told the claim had been done and the paperwork was in the post.

Not having received anything by today (Friday) I rang them again after looking in to it they have told me the claim has been denied because only the front page of the LPA was sent with the application so was declined as defective.

AgeUK helped with the form and said the only the front page was required. I queried this but was assured there wouldn't be a problem. I know another agency had only recently, at the time, required a copy of the front page so didn't think to much about it.

The lady in the AA office said they had requested the full LPA in writing but as they hadn't received it declined the claim - that is understandable. However I never received a request for the full LPA.
I have now sent a certified copy and stated under the circumstances I hope the previous application would still be valid and could be expedited.

So beware if AgeUK (or any other agency for that matter) say only the front page of the LPA is required send the whole document anyway.

I'm surprised you were advised to send the front page . My previous experience with any company/institution is they always want the whole certified document.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@RosettaT why did they want to see the LPA I never had to send it for dad and as far as I know if the DWP do wish to see it then your local job centre will certify a copy and send it for you but only for DWP purposes.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
@RosettaT why did they want to see the LPA I never had to send it for dad and as far as I know if the DWP do wish to see it then your local job centre will certify a copy and send it for you but only for DWP purposes.
If the applicant can't sign due to capacity issues, an LPA copy will have to be sent. The job centre will not certify for this.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Edited for clarity

Although my wife had signed the application for Attendance Allowance (AA) herself (as advised by the Welfare Rights man who helped us to complete it) the fact that we had mentioned Power of Attorney somewhere on the form meant that Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) wanted to see it. I sent a donor certified copy of the complete Lasting Power of Attorney. This allowed the processing of the claim to proceed to completion.

Based on her needs at that time, my wife was awarded the lower rate, which was later changed to the higher rate. On the basis that I am acting as my wife's Attorney, any DWP correspondence (Attendance Allowance,State Pension, Winter Fuel Allowance) is now sent to me on her behalf.

You were given the wrong advice @RosettaT . A certified copy must have the appropriate form of words and signature on every page and additional wording on the last page so sending the front page only would be pointless as you have found out.

I hope that you get it sorted soon and don't have to do a new application.

Last edited:

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I had to send a copy of the LPA as I was signing as attorney for my mother, it never occurred to me to send anything other than the full document. You've got the whole document so why would you only send one page - bizarre advice from AgeUk.
How annoying for you, and I do hope you now get a very quick response.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
So do I northumbrian_k.
I have actually photocopied the only correspondence I did receive and sent with the LPA so they can see what I can only assume is the letter they mention but contains the wrong information, so an admin error on their part. Hope they will feel sorry for me! lol

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I had to send a copy of the LPA as I was signing as attorney for my mother, it never occurred to me to send anything other than the full document. You've got the whole document so why would you only send one page - bizarre advice from AgeUk.
How annoying for you, and I do hope you now get a very quick response.

I have heard that sometimes people have been told or believe that sending the one page Notice of Registration (form LPA 004) is sufficient. This may have been the source of the mix up. It is not even part of the LPA and is on plain, unvalidated paper so is not acceptable as a substitute for the full document.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I have heard that sometimes people have been told or believe that sending the one page Notice of Registration (form LPA 004) is sufficient. This may have been the source of the mix up. It is not even part of the LPA and is on plain, unvalidated paper so is not acceptable as a substitute for the full document.

Oh right, thank you, I had not heard about this - probably fortunately!
There does seem to be so much misinformation, plus the added problem of some institutions deciding to add random annoying requirements, as if our lives weren't already difficult enough!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Awarding of AA is nothing to do with LPA

It's related to the care the applicant needs.

The LPA question comes in when the DWP need to know about how, if application suggests incapacity, the applicant's finances are to be handled.

They will need sight of a registered LPA, proof of COP deputyship, or DWP appointeeship.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Yesterday I was quiet laid back about it but this morning I've woken up quite cranky.
I am totally sick of having to constantly chase organisations for one thing or another. Why can't they do their job properly? The DWP disability & care service stated in the only letter my OH received they would let him know as soon as a decision had been reached, they didn't, they made the decision 3 weeks ago! Why Age UK made the mistake they did saying only the front page of the LPA was required I have no idea. I should have realised but it was 8.15 in the morning when she helped with the form, the night after OH came home after 12 weeks in hospital and he didn't get home until 20 to midnight, it had gone 1.30 in the morning before I got him settled and I got to bed. He had been sat in the discharge lounge for 11hrs, unable to eat and drink by himself, so dehydrated, I guess I was just happy to let someone else take the strain for once.
I have enough on my plate without chasing everyone up......grrrrrrr
And to cap this week, the care company has changed OH hours so it's played havock with his rouine especial meal times.

Sorry I'm cranky. I rarely am but this morning I could scream.

mickeym

Apr 12, 2019
Applied for 3rd April, but haven't had a decision yet. I know they have received it because I got the LPA back and a holding letter around week 6 saying they would be in contact once a decision has been made.

Just wondered how long have others waited on average to hear if they havevbeen successful?
I was in same situation in May. It was going on for 8 weeks. I used the code on their envellope and phoned them. They were very helpful. They had just dealt with it but had sent confirmation to wrong address, wrong house number! Very annoying. It was back dated.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
If the applicant can't sign due to capacity issues, an LPA copy will have to be sent. The job centre will not certify for this.
You take in your LPA the job centre photocopy it & stamp the photocopy
I have done this this year & then you send it off to the relevant DWP department

Certain organisations Such as premium bonds require you to send your certified copy & wont accept the jobcentre authenticated copy but it’s still handy to have as county councils are happy with it.

Good luck
X

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour