Finding misplaced items

nickthespur

Oct 29, 2018
My wife has dementia but is not yet at the stage of not recognizing me or family members. She has no short term memory but the most frustrating thing at the moment is that she keeps moving things around the house and then not remembering where she's put them or even not acknowledging that it was her who moved them. Her electronic toothbrush is the most important thing that goes missing. I have found it wrapped up in socks in a suitcase, in a cupboard, in a drawer in the living room. Anywhere except the bathroom! It always turns up but sometimes takes a day or two. Does anybody know if there is an electronic device such as those that can be used to find lost car keys. It would certainly save me a lot of time if something could be fitted to her toothbrush that would beep when I pressed the locator! Thanks

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
I have a similar thing with car keys, lost for a week under the bathroom sink! I saw something on Amazon, which had 4 small pads the size of a thumbnail, you stuck them on whatever you wanted, and then you had a main remote that you pressed to find them. I think it was about £20, haven’t bought them but I ought to. Good luck!

nickthespur

Oct 29, 2018
I have a similar thing with car keys, lost for a week under the bathroom sink! I saw something on Amazon, which had 4 small pads the size of a thumbnail, you stuck them on whatever you wanted, and then you had a main remote that you pressed to find them. I think it was about £20, haven’t bought them but I ought to. Good luck!
Thanks so much. Really useful. I'll have a look. Thanks again.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
The Amazon thing is called an Esky. Depending on the size of the object, a sensor can be attached to it and then when a remote control is pressed it emits a beep and flashes to help locate the object. I found it very helpful when Mummy kept losing her stick.
Might not work for very small items. You also need to keep the remote control to prevent someone taking it to pieces and removing the batteries.....oh dear....

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have used a FOFA for house keys but think that it might be too big for a toothbrush. It also needs checking for battery life quite often.

http://www.findonefindall.com

My first port of call when looking for my wife's electric toothbrush (as well as towels, photo frames and so on) is her handbag. But if not there it could be under her pillow or, now that she is in residential care, in any other room but her own. It is often in need of a charge as she will not leave it on the charger. I also had to 'hide' my brush as she would use that indiscriminately - it is pink (because that colour was on special offer) so must belong to a girl!

There may be a market opportunity for an electric toothbrush with integrated finder - it stays charged so long as the toothbrush is.

nickthespur

Oct 29, 2018
Thanks for all the suggestions. It does look as though what's on the market would be too big for a toothbrush.I agree with comment that there may be a market for an electric toothbrush with an integrated locator. I think I may contact a few manufacturers!

nickthespur

Oct 29, 2018
I've actually been in touch with Oral B manufacturers Braun. They confirm there is nothing on the market with an integrated locator but they will contact their research team to see if there is a sufficient market for one. Don't think I will hold my breath!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We often get people coming on here saying that they are doing a degree in technology (or whatever) and asking for ideas. It might be something to suggest to them.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hello @nickthespur

In the earlier stages, my wife was a nightmare, picking up anything left lying around. Sometimes she would simply relocate items, other times they would either end up hidden or wrapped in tissue somewhere. I lost count of how many times I would find the TV/Sky remotes IN THE KITCHEN BIN:eek:.

I know it's quite common and in our case, I think she was actually trying to tidy up? She used to be very house proud and hated anything out of place so I guess that trait was still in there somewhere.

If you cannot find a small enough locator for the toothbrush, would it be possible to get your wife to revert to a simple non-electric one? Maybe a white lie to suggest that the electric one needs repairing? At least then you could keep a supply or toothbrushes handy.

Good luck.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
Hello @nickthespur

In the earlier stages, my wife was a nightmare, picking up anything left lying around. Sometimes she would simply relocate items, other times they would either end up hidden or wrapped in tissue somewhere. I lost count of how many times I would find the TV/Sky remotes IN THE KITCHEN BIN:eek:.

I know it's quite common and in our case, I think she was actually trying to tidy up? She used to be very house proud and hated anything out of place so I guess that trait was still in there somewhere.

If you cannot find a small enough locator for the toothbrush, would it be possible to get your wife to revert to a simple non-electric one? Maybe a white lie to suggest that the electric one needs repairing? At least then you could keep a supply or toothbrushes handy.

Good luck.
Hello, can you tell me how and when did it stop? My OH picks up and hides everything. I have to keep my things locked away all the time. It's such a crazy way to live. He started doing this about 3 years after ALZ diagnosis. Does it ever stop?

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hello, can you tell me how and when did it stop? My OH picks up and hides everything. I have to keep my things locked away all the time. It's such a crazy way to live. He started doing this about 3 years after ALZ diagnosis. Does it ever stop?

It is less of a problem these days but mainly due to the fact that she doesn't roam around the house now. Some of this is due to her mobility declining - she is still mobile but finds it difficult to stand up without assistance or go up and down stairs unaided. Also, she tends to stay wherever she is put, so if I sit her down on the sofa, she tends to stay there until I prompt her to move.

So on the one hand, it is less of a problem (moving/hiding stuff), but so sad to see the decline.:(
It is hard to pinpoint when this started as it has been a gradual change, rather than sudden.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
It is less of a problem these days but mainly due to the fact that she doesn't roam around the house now. Some of this is due to her mobility declining - she is still mobile but finds it difficult to stand up without assistance or go up and down stairs unaided. Also, she tends to stay wherever she is put, so if I sit her down on the sofa, she tends to stay there until I prompt her to move.

So on the one hand, it is less of a problem (moving/hiding stuff), but so sad to see the decline.:(
It is hard to pinpoint when this started as it has been a gradual change, rather than sudden.
Thank you. I suppose I'm in it for the long haul then as my OH is physically quite strong and healthy. I'll hold on to the keys for now.