Respite Care for PWD who is hoisted

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Like many on this forum I am trying to get respite care. In our county (Herefordshire) there is a care home that is bookable!!! but not if hoisting is needed. Is this the case in other counties? It seems to be discrimination to me. The only way I can get respite for my husband is to ring around care/nursing homes in our area and just wait and hope for a vacancy. Care at home is too expensive for us, £2,500 per week plus I would have to pay for somewhere to go.

Imstressedout

Jun 6, 2019
If hoisting is required it’s either a “nursing home” you need or a “care home with nursing” as opposed to just a “care home” (I hadn’t realised the difference). There seem plenty in south Gloucestershire so it may be a postcode lottery.

It was easier for us because our parents have no money except for benefits so everything is paid for (I’m starting to wonder if we should give our savings to the kids now - so much simpler!!).

I don’t know if this is any use:

http://www.housingcare.org/respite-care-homes/area-3-683-hereford-herefordshire.aspx

Good luck - it truly is a nightmare and I feel your pain.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Interesting on two points, my mum who lived with us was LA funded and it was much easier to get respite for her, so I wonder if being self funded really is an advantage, as you are left to get on with organising everything yourselves. The other point about nursing/ care homes, I did know that, but I am always told my husband at present has no nursing needs?, only social care. I will try the link you sent. It is a nightmare certainly.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
If you are self funding then your husband can go into a nursing home for respite, the cost will be higher but not needing nursing care should not stop him going. Places seem so few and far between these days, it seems as if homes prefer rooms to be taken on a permanent contract and not hold rooms for respite.

Hope you can get something sorted and you get a break.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Yes, it's just finding a nursing home that will take him for respite, hoping fairly local so he would have visitors, further afield makes that less likely. Just keep phoning round and wait

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75