How do they judge he has capacity

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Thank you all for your messages and advice. Sorry I haven't responded sooner, it's been such a busy time. My husband has now been transferred to a rehab unit which will hopefully ease the pressure on me for a while as I can only visit once a day because it's further away from home and I have to pay for parking. Up to now I have been visiting 2-3 times a day to try to get him to eat something as he has refused to eat the hospital food, having seen it I understand why! I've been taking him soup in a thermos and other things that I know he likes but as they say you can take a horse to water....! He's happy in the new place, he had done exercises in a group yesterday, something he has always resisted before, and he's enjoyed it. I'm hoping doing activities in a group setting might lead to him being willing to continue after he comes home but I'm not counting my chickens!
my reason for wanting to speak to the pharmacist about his medication was because when he was discharged previously in May they have me two weeks of bubble packs but had put things in places he wasn't used to which completely threw him. I had up to them been able to let him deal with his own medication to some degree but I had to deal with it for those two weeks and after that he had never got back to normal, he keeps questioning things and had lost the habit of doing it himself. I'm afraid I think after this current admission he will have even more difficulty doing it himself as his memory and understanding of things has been significantly affected. I think it will be goodbye to my short breaks away because I don't think he'll be able to manage on his own.
I'm the question of LPA, yes I do have one for both health and welfare and financial matters and both are registered and ready to be used at any time they are needed.
It certainly seems from all your comments that assessing capacity is a minefield. At the moment I'm sure he would be assessed as having capacity because he would give the impression he understands things but I know that once the person assessing has left it will become clear to me that he doesn't and he will keep asking me questions about it. I have already had experience of this following visits to the GP and I know this will only get worse. I will just have to wait now and try to talk to the new nursing staff at the rehab unit about it all again.

LHS

Oct 5, 2018
My mum recently very grudgingly started accepting lunchtime support visits (only after a fall and a week in hospital). The care coordinator came to interview mum at home and she gave a wonderful performance stating she could cook and ate perfectly well and did not need any support. My mum is physically very fit so this also presents her as being very able. A week later the coordinator called by unannounced and saw mum in her 'real' state and was so concerned that he rang me immediately.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo