Assisted aid at airport

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Ok this is a couple of years Old but worth a Reminder

Holidaymakers who post information about trips on Facebook face having insurance claims rejected if their home is targeted by burglars while they are away

· Insurers often check accounts of those burgled while on holiday
· Firms refuse to pay if people advertised the fact that they would be out
· Association of British Insurers advises being careful what gets posted
·
· Announcing your big vacation on Facebook or posting a series of beach selfies while you're away can be the highlight of a holiday for some.

·But sunseekers are being warned that it could also invalidate their home insurance if they get burgled while they are away.

· Insurers are increasingly checking people's social media accounts following a break-in to see if they announced that they would be away from the property, and are using it as a reason not to pay out.

· This is because most insurers have a 'reasonable care' clause in contracts so firms don't have to offer up cash if they can prove people weren't careful enough in protecting their possessions.

· In the past this was used in cases of burglary where doors or windows were left unlocked or open, but increasingly it is being used against holidaymakers who advertise their vacation online.

· Police forces have repeatedly warned that would-be thieves will check social media to see whether property owners have said they will be away, before striking while nobody is home.

· According to The Sun, families that post pictures of themselves on sun loungers, or announce they are on the first day of a two-week trip could be deemed to be helping criminals.

· A spokesman for the Financial Ombudsman Service said: 'It's possible that your insurance cover could be affected if you explicitly announce your plans on social media.

· 'You wouldn't put a poster up on your front lawn saying you're going on holiday.'

· The Association of British Insurers also warned home owners to 'think carefully about what you put on social media'.

Gladys1946

Feb 17, 2019
We went on a river cruise in June. Bristol Airport were fantastic and the holiday could and should have been. Sadly not the case, I couldn't wait to get home totally exhausted. The cruise itself superb but the OH a total nightmare. Never again. There will be no more holidays sadly but I don't feel too hard done to as we've had wonderful holidays and been to lovely places. OH has no filter now and as the drinks were all inclusive, you can guess how much he consumed. I tried to reason with him but of course that led to aggressive behaviour. So difficult but what can you do. Had wonderful support from a fellow passenger who had recently lost her husband through Alzheimer's. She said she totally identified with me and knew immediately what our problem was. So if you can holiday, do. We all need to recharge but for me, that's the end.