now its mums journey

campervan21

May 4, 2017
Things not too bad, she was abit anxious yesterday ,in the Afternoon, matron said they have no concerns, and she is verbal and anxious rather than violent,.

We did say water infection is usually a trigger for the agitation, Dr was called out and he wants urine and blood test

It is a worry, but it's the professionals there, who are dealing with it in their way, we don't have to organise tests and drs, home visits etc

Reassuring she is being watched and cared for, hope today better day for her

One day at a time

campervan21

May 4, 2017
After the phone call my sis, thought she'd visit to check mum was ok, she wasn't asked to go, but NH matron said, if you want to one then you can

Sis got there, mum sitting in the lounge reading a magazine quite happy
Gave sis time to chat with mattron, everything said was very reassuring , so in a way even though mum was anxious, the conversation was beneficial after the anxious time she had

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother is very content probably 9 times out of 10, but there will be an occasion where she seems anxious. It is never clear what she's anxious about, maybe she didn't sleep well, or something triggered an anxiety. I notice the same in other residents who are usually cheerful but will have 'off' days. It's the nature of the illness and as you say, the carers know how to handle it.

campervan21

May 4, 2017
My mother is very content probably 9 times out of 10, but there will be an occasion where she seems anxious. It is never clear what she's anxious about, maybe she didn't sleep well, or something triggered an anxiety. I notice the same in other residents who are usually cheerful but will have 'off' days. It's the nature of the illness and as you say, the carers know how to handle it.

Thank you sirena,
Sis is visiting this morning, her usual visit, I hope everything ok for mum

campervan21

May 4, 2017
Saturday mum was admitted to medical assessment for what we assume is a bad infection
She was on two drips, saline and antibiotics.

She was so poorly, I have never heard so many expletives come out the mouth of a frail sleeping old lady, poor mum was delerious.

Two years yesterday dad died, she doesn't remember him,

Brother went to see her yesterday she was still swearing,but awake, apparently later in the day she was walking about without her zimmer, this after my brother in the morning went through questions with a nurse, saying she's at risk of falling so needs zimmer.

Good she's mobile, hopefully she can be discharged back to the nursing home, so they can keep an eye on her.

I remember dad was in and out of hospital with infections until we and the nursing home said he's better staying with them for care.

I do dread visiting her, lately she's so agitated,

One day at a time

campervan21

May 4, 2017
Saw mum this afternoon,she looks so frail and vulnerable
Hopefully she can go back to nursing home tomorrow,
Hospital are brilliant,just not the place for her

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I hope you mother is going back to the nursing home today. You're quite right, hospital just don't have the time and skills to help in the right way, she will be more comfortable back at the care home.

campervan21

May 4, 2017
I hope you mother is going back to the nursing home today. You're quite right, hospital just don't have the time and skills to help in the right way, she will be more comfortable back at the care home.
Yes we hopefully have the news later this morning she going back to NH

campervan21

May 4, 2017
Mum being discharged back to NH this afternoon, brother went to see her at hospital, she was upset, talking as if it was when she was young, didn't want to go back to where she used to live and her unhappy childhood

Crying saying does she need to ring the solicitor, poor brother was distraught seeing her like it

Said the ward were treating like she could understand them, when they spoke to her, which she can't

She hopefully will settle back in the NH

Is this a progression of the illness

Poor mum

campervan21

May 4, 2017
Thanks canary, we hope once she back she settles back in, it's been a confusing few days for her, and she hasn't been very well , yes I'm sure shell be better back at the NH

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I know what you mean about hospital staff 'talking as if she can understand'. They did this with my mother last year. My mother seemed to deteriorate mentally a bit while in hospital, but within weeks of being back at the care home she was back to 'her normal'. Hospital is a bad environment for people with dementia, the staff don't really understand the issues or have time to engage with them in a useful way, and it is a noisy unfriendly confusing place. I am sure your mum will improve once back at the care home.

campervan21

May 4, 2017
I know what you mean about hospital staff 'talking as if she can understand'. They did this with my mother last year. My mother seemed to deteriorate mentally a bit while in hospital, but within weeks of being back at the care home she was back to 'her normal'. Hospital is a bad environment for people with dementia, the staff don't really understand the issues or have time to engage with them in a useful way, and it is a noisy unfriendly confusing place. I am sure your mum will improve once back at the care home.

Sirena, my brother said just that, she’s deteriorated mentally within few days, hopefully back home n the nh routine she’ll settle back down, it is a noisy confusing place in hospital, think it hit me yesterday when I visited her and saw how vulnerable she looked

Thank you for your reply, reassuring

campervan21

May 4, 2017
Well she seems to have settled back into the NH
She gets so annoyed with things, makes rude comments to other people round her,I know she can't help it, however, she always had a sharp tongue ,visited her this morning, didn't enjoy one minute of the visit, I'll carry on visiting though, I will just keep visit short

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Well she seems to have settled back into the NH
She gets so annoyed with things, makes rude comments to other people round her,I know she can't help it, however, she always had a sharp tongue ,visited her this morning, didn't enjoy one minute of the visit, I'll carry on visiting though, I will just keep visit short

That's my mum too, constantly complaining and criticising. It's very wearing. I get a lot of blame and it's my fault 'they' won't let her go to her mum and dad's house and my fault that all the money is gone because 'they' put her name on the list and made her pay for everything. It's my fault she's had no peace for 3 days because of all the noisy children who keep jumping up at you.

Yesterday a carer got an earful when she brought mum a coffee and a bowl of chips. Mum got angry, said she couldn't possibly eat them because they would make her throw up. (They looked and smelled delicious!) Turns out they were the wrong colour and shape and weren't hard enough so she folded her arms and refused to eat them. She's really pretty unpleasant these days.

I now accept that everything bad is down to me. World War 2? Yep, that was one of mine. Global warming? Yes - did it all on my own. Mum's missing bras? Yes - I sneaked in and stole them just to annoy her.

campervan21

May 4, 2017
What they like jaded n faded,
poor man next to her , coughing she constantly berated him,

I suggested we move to another part of the big room lounge area

Nope, I'm staying here no one making me move, I gave her a cake and she momentarily forgot to complain

I know it's the illness, but every visit the same at the moment,

campervan21

May 4, 2017
Bless what a journey mum having, she's was moved yesterday from the nursing home, they tried their best but they couldn't cope with her aggression

She has been moved to the an acute mental health setting , to be assessed so a permanent appropriate place for her can be found

Dr said the moves will deteriorate her even more than she has

Last few weeks has seen such a decline in her

Poor mum

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s so hard when there doesn`t seem any way to soften people like your mum @campervan21. I think all we want for our people with dementia is for some form of contentment in the middle / later stages.

Dr said the moves will deteriorate her even more than she has

I suppose they are trying to find a suitable placement but every move increases the confusion. I know some people with dementia may have been over-medicated in the past, to make life easier for staff in care homes, but lay person as I am, I would prefer medication to torment, and risk the side effects.