concern with sibling as next of kin

concerned4

Jun 3, 2012
Hi everyone

Hope you all are holding up and staying strong.

I have had major problems with social services and had raised my concerns about Mum was living with my brother.

Recently, there was a Best Interest meeting held and in the room was me, Brother, Sister, doctor, SW and occupational therapist. My siblings have said everything that was music to the professionals ears And was decided Mum was to be moved to my brother’s new house.

I contacted social services and asked for my brother to be investigated due to the conditions she was living and neglect and safeguarding issues. I spoke to many people, including safeguarding team and they were basically sweeping everything under the carpet and felt there was no need to open a case against my siblings because a care package is now in place and she is being discharged to my brothers house.

I had also asked for the reason why the first safeguarding case was opened, what happened, what the outcome was and what was done about it and what assurances were given and any follow ups from assessing the first case. There was no answer given to me other than, 8 months down the line and after this second safeguarding/ neglect issues they turned round and said ‘ well there is a care package in place.’

Brother exploited Mum financially and nothing has been done. Mum doesn’t know what is normal living conditions, hygiene, because she has been used to living like that for several years apparently. She still says she wants to live with my brother. It has been confirmed she does not have the mental capacity to make decisions.

To conclude. I said to the social services, everything my brother has done has been ignored the second time and nothing has been done about it. I have asked them to put it in writing so I can challenge them.

I have spent weeks now trying to fight this but it seems to me, all this vulnerable adult at risk means nothing.

I am so sad that my mum is 63, but looks as if she is 90 and everyone had failed her and now I feel all lost about this.

Pals service hasn’t done anything, emailed and no response, just ‘ will contact shortly a week ago.’ 2 emails I sent to them.

OPG said cannot investigate as ‘ no appointed POA as a LPA or EPA.

I need some help, sorry to have bored you all.

Thanks

Sally
Can you speak with your mums GP & ask them to invite her in for an assessment, if for example she is losing weight then Social Services have to intervene. Hopefully you will get to speak with GP to allay your concerns.
All the best

Sal G

Jun 14, 2019
Hi Guys

My mum is at hospital currently and waiting to be discharged.

Social services are aware of every tiny details and have shown videos of the conditions she was living in however they are only concerned about being discharged into my brother’s new property and not how she was left to struggle for the last 2 years.

I am fighting with everyone to have an investigation of neglect to be carried out but they seem to not want to take the responsibility of doing so because of resources probably.

I don’t know what to do. I thought safeguarding and neglect are taken seriously but obviously not.

X

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou Sal. I am gradually coming to terms with it and I know what you're going through as well because although I lived with dad before he went into the home I couldn't stop thinking about him when I was out. I also wonder if Age UK can advice you.

MaNaAk