The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Some funny replies here! MaNaAk

Yesterday, OH and I went to the GP to have it confirmed that OH no longer has capacity, so that I can activate the POA which was completed 4 years ago when he did have capacity. Doctor administered the standard Memory Test and the conversation went like this:

GP How are you today?
OH As well as can be expected in the circumstances (This is his stock response when anyone asks him)

GP Can you tell me today's date?
OH - No.... but I know it is Sunday!
(It was Thursday)

GP I am going to tell you a name and address and want you to repeat them after me and remember them. John Brown, 39 West Street, Kensington.
OH Never heard of him - should I remember him?
GP No I want you to repeat his name and address after me
OH I have no idea what his name and address is, in fact I cannot remember him at all.
GP (giving up) OK lets move on. (gives OH a sheet of paper with a circle on it.

GP I want you to draw a clock face in the circle, with the numbers and the hands pointing to the right time, which is 10.30
OH -
(handing pencil and paper to me) Wife will do it for me, she does everything for me, because I can't remember anything.
GP - OK.

GP -Could you count backwards from 100 by 7s for me?
OH -NO! I couldn't even do that when I had all my marbles

GP - Can you tell me the name of the Prime Minister?
OH - No - It was some awful wummin but they done away with her.

GP (laughing) Can you repeat for me the name and address that I gave you at the beginning?
OH - Nae chance, I can't remember anything at all.

GP then confirmed that OH did, in her opinion, lack capacity and went through what happens next. OH asked Does that mean I have passed the test? GP replied that he had indeed, with flying colours, and finally said
It has been nice to meet you both. To which OH replied with his one and only Spanish phrase. Buenos dias et Muchas Gracias Senora

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Oh gosh, I so relate. When Mummy had one of her DOLS assessments the very nice social worker said "Hello, how are you". Mummy , pleased to have a visitor said "Hello, how are you".

The conversation never got any further.

My father, (who doesn't have any kind of cognitive diagnosis and was there as a relative) tried for some small talk. "I have several air rifles and air pistols at home".

With this rather startling announcement the room was silenced. The social worker coughed and moved on.

I suppose they must see it all.......

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Wifenotcarer,

Please could you draw a clock face with the correct time for me as well:D! That wummin is going next week I believe!

Hilarious

MaNaAk

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad always asks the doctors how they are and they always react surprised but in a nice way.

The funniest moment was when the dementia nurse told him that she would like him to have a head scan. Dad said 'what right now, I will do my best but I have not done one for a long time'

He thought she said head stand. We all laughed at that but he was willing to have a try.

Lyd

May 27, 2019
Last year Mam and I were watching TV in the evening when Live at the Apollo came on. 'What's this' she asked. 'Standup comedy' I replied. With a disgruntled look she said 'Can't we watch something else where I can sit down'

i was at MIL's when the six o'clock news came on she turns the TV straight off saying firmly "i dont know about you but I dont like to watch the six o'clock moaning".

UpToMe

Oct 10, 2017
There is no lighter side to Alzheimers.
It is no laughing matter and ruins lives.

Lyd

May 27, 2019
There is no lighter side to Alzheimers.
It is no laughing matter and ruins lives.

that is true nevertheless our ability it laugh in its face is what helps my family cope when hope is all but gone.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Mum may have dementia but she can still be funny and have a laugh at herself. One of the entertainment staff at her home was singing karaoke and a carer asked Mum what she thought of the singing. She replied 'terrible' (which it was!). It not only made Mum laugh it also made everyone else laugh too. I doubt that anyone would describe dementia as something to laugh about but humour can still be found at times and those moments will leave good memories to balance out some of the bad.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

Yesterday, OH and I went to the GP to have it confirmed that OH no longer has capacity, so that I can activate the POA which was completed 4 years ago when he did have capacity. Doctor administered the standard Memory Test and the conversation went like this:

GP How are you today?
OH As well as can be expected in the circumstances (This is his stock response when anyone asks him)

GP Can you tell me today's date?
OH - No.... but I know it is Sunday!
(It was Thursday)

GP I am going to tell you a name and address and want you to repeat them after me and remember them. John Brown, 39 West Street, Kensington.
OH Never heard of him - should I remember him?
GP No I want you to repeat his name and address after me
OH I have no idea what his name and address is, in fact I cannot remember him at all.
GP (giving up) OK lets move on. (gives OH a sheet of paper with a circle on it.

GP I want you to draw a clock face in the circle, with the numbers and the hands pointing to the right time, which is 10.30
OH -
(handing pencil and paper to me) Wife will do it for me, she does everything for me, because I can't remember anything.
GP - OK.

GP -Could you count backwards from 100 by 7s for me?
OH -NO! I couldn't even do that when I had all my marbles

GP - Can you tell me the name of the Prime Minister?
OH - No - It was some awful wummin but they done away with her.

GP (laughing) Can you repeat for me the name and address that I gave you at the beginning?
OH - Nae chance, I can't remember anything at all.

GP then confirmed that OH did, in her opinion, lack capacity and went through what happens next. OH asked Does that mean I have passed the test? GP replied that he had indeed, with flying colours, and finally said
It has been nice to meet you both. To which OH replied with his one and only Spanish phrase. Buenos dias et Muchas Gracias Senora

Sat here trying to cheer myself up in this madness, that did make me chuckle and put a smile on my face -thanks

Lyd

May 27, 2019
Today I went to take my MIL out to buy some clothes and for dinner only to find she was terribly ill and unable to explain her symptoms clearly. Straight to the family whatsapp group after my visit with my concerns where one of her sons informed me she'd told him she didnt want to go out with me and so was going to pretend to be too sick to go!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I agree Alzheimers is not funny but my dad and I have still been able to have a laugh and four years into this I have found my sense of humour invaluable. Without my sense of humour I would not have had the strength to deal with this illness.

MaNaAk

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Teatime at mums care home & mum for some unknown reason was having fits of giggles. Whenever her eyes met another persons it just started her off. Had us & all the carers laughing as well. Big belly laughs. Took ages to give her her tea. Still smiling now thinking about it.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Watching TV last night and OH saw a commercial for a remover for eye make up. Girl with make up, then girl removing make up. Husband commented that it was amazing how alike the two girls were!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

Just letting you know that I am playing my 1975 CD and remembering how dad who wouldn't leave me alone in the kitchen got up and walked out when hearing the awful sound of 'Sparks'.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I forgot to say that when dad walked out he said 'I can't stand this' leaving me with an idea as to what to do if I don't want to be followed.

MaNaAk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976