Brilliant find for Mum

Mousehill

Nov 28, 2018
I thought I'd share this just in case it helps anyone else!

Mum struggles to dress and needs a lot of help, especially with buttons. With the hot weather, I was so pleased to come across a lovely pink and white shirt-waister dress in Matalan (not to be confused with Catalan, which is what the spellcheck keeps trying to suggest!)

It's so easy to get on and off and Mum can actually manage the buttons down the front because they are large, spaced well apart and a contrast to the fabric.

I'm sure nobody designed it with dementia in mind, but it's given Mum a tiny bit of independence back (even if its only buttoning up her own dress) and she's thrilled with her new frock. She's even asked me to go back and get another one :) A small victory, but so welcome after weeks of recurring UTIs, confusion and frustration! Funny how the tiny things sometimes have the most impact.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I am trying to persuade my mum that she needs some new bras as the straps of the ones she has fall down her arm - a combination of weight loss and old elastic I think! But a bra is not something I can just buy her as I have no idea of her size and the labels are too worn! She of course does not need new ones as she only bought these a couple of weeks ago!

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
That's a brilliant find, I hope you are going to get her another one!

@Lynmax if you did buy her a new bra you might find she wouldn't wear it as 'not comfortable'. My mother had a special mastectomy bra which had gone old and worn (and too big due to weightloss) so me and her carer spent a lot of time deliberating about which size and type. Ended up getting the same one in a size down - she wouldn't wear it. We tried a different type - wouldn't wear it...

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I am trying to persuade my mum that she needs some new bras as the straps of the ones she has fall down her arm - a combination of weight loss and old elastic I think! But a bra is not something I can just buy her as I have no idea of her size and the labels are too worn! She of course does not need new ones as she only bought these a couple of weeks ago!
You could, if you want to get her new ones, take one of the old ones along and ask a bra fitter. A good experienced fitter would know the size.

SewHappy

Feb 3, 2019
Had bra troubles with my mum. She has accepted the cropped top stretchy bras readily available in lots of shops and on line. Sizes more forgiving and a variety of support levels.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
You could, if you want to get her new ones, take one of the old ones along and ask a bra fitter. A good experienced fitter would know the size.

Good idea Lady A, that might work!

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Had bra troubles with my mum. She has accepted the cropped top stretchy bras readily available in lots of shops and on line. Sizes more forgiving and a variety of support levels.

Another good idea, cropped tops tend to have wider straps which might fit better.

I'm going to delegate this to my sister, she is much better than me at taking mum out shopping!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Another good idea, cropped tops tend to have wider straps which might fit better.

I'm going to delegate this to my sister, she is much better than me at taking mum out shopping!

Well done, learning to delegate we all need to note your solution :) x