Getting away for a few days! Wohooo! Thanks to all for the support

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Earlier this year my OH and I decided that it would be best not to go on holiday whilst the MIL that we look after and lives with us was adamant that she would not have any respite care even though she agreed at the doctors to it - then said she had never been to the doctors with me! So despite that we have thrown caution to the wind and have organised a few days away from the rock we live on in the Channel Islands and off to Southampton for 5 whole days. We have organised care whilst we are away, we told her it was to look after the dogs. She is quite happy with that - it may not sound like the dream holiday but we need it. PS the "rock" is not literal just feels like it sometimes! Its only because others on here have said just do it and get a break hat it gave me the confidence to sort something -so thanks.

Cobber

Sep 13, 2016
Well done. Mum will not go into respite and to be honest i am not sure i want her to. So, i put myself in respite, ie little breaks every couple of months, ( with full care covering for her of course), same thing but just wrong way round. What ever it takes to let you cope, that is what i say ( it has taken 8 years fod me to get there).

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Have a lovely time @Donkeyshere.

Dream holiday or not, it will seem like it just for a change of scenery and some time to spend together with no responsibilities.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Enjoy, they say change is as good as a rest! I am writing in Tea Shop about my stay in respite, yesterday was National Care Home Day to combat the bad press a few homes have had. Respite can get a bad name that usually is not warranted.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Respite can get a bad name that usually is not warranted.

You are right to point this out @AliceA . It was my wife's positive experience of respite that encouraged me to first consider whether in fact she would have a better quality of life in long-term residential care. I can understand why people may be wary, and sometimes some subterfuge is necessary to pull it off, but starting with short periods of respite and building from there worked for my wife. In fact her regular carer at the time was astonished by the positive change in my wife's behaviour during her respite stays.

As for Care Homes getting a bad press, I find it best to judge from first hand experience rather than rely on second hand or third hand accounts. So far at least, the care home where my wife now lives has not lived down to the low standards that some people seem to believe typifies care homes.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
5 whole days away to yourself sound like bliss @Donkeyshere Have a great time, make sure you at least spend a day doing nothing but relaxing!