My Memory Pot and other moments.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Over The past four years I have requested a Carers Assessment 3 Times and basically been told I don’’’t need one but, wonders of wonder, my fourth request Has been Heeded and a pop in’ Team will call on Thursday. Should be interesting.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Good luck with your carers assessment Agzy. In Bristol you get a £400 grant towards anything which might help, and I asked for money towards a regular massage which makes for a lovely hour's respite. I hope you can get something helpful from them.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Well we have had our assessment and now have a lovely lady as our contact. Pauline will now be fitted with a fall detector/alarm wrist ‘watch.’ We will get a raised step outside our back door although basically a flagstone on the path and not quite what I would have wished. No money mentioned but not too bothered as most needed adaptations I have already had done at my own expense. I will be getting contacted by Age Concern and a local charity (?) company, Wired. I dont feel so alone just having a phone number and name for help and contact. Pauline was amazing and so firm about what she will NOT have and how she worries about others which she sees as much worse off. Time will tell but feel sort of boosted.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
How fast life can change and evolve and so unexpected. Began the weekend so positively and visited Pauline’s daughter in law and all was good as was lunch although I was still groggy from the viral chest infection. After lunch a 10 minute nap and I awoke to hell! I knew exactly what I wanted to say and could picture the words in my brain but they just wouldn’t come out as I wanted them and all this with a splitting headache. Phoned daughter but couldn’t make myself understood and she was by my side in 10 minutes and had me in hospital for a weekend stay having been diagnosed as almost certainly had an TIA or mini-stroke, wow. Whole weekend spent in hospital but out now waiting for more scans including MRI tomorrow. NHS brilliant as was family and top of the pops, Pauline, who didn’t panic nor have a melt down. She coped amazingly and is even willing to share her bus pass journeys as driving is not allowed for a few weeks and so all journeys need planning. On top of all that the fall alert warning is all in situ and she loves it and thinks it posh. Talk about roller coaster ride!!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh @Agzy I’m so sorry to hear that. What a fright you all must have had. I hope the scan feedback is positive.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
What a fright for you all, Agzy. How good that your daughter and Pauline coped so well though. good luck with the scan

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thank you all and now, after a week of scans and hospital appointments I am relieved to say that although, yes, I have had a stroke albeit a TIA, I am fine and am not at deaths door nor thankfully disabled in any way. This has really got me thinking about care for Pauline in the event of my incapacity and can see the thought has shocked her eldest son into similar thoughts although he doesn’t voice them. Not sure how to proceed but my role as a carer is going to have to be shared with him and his brothers somehow. Time will as usual, tell.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm sorry to hear about your TIA @Agzy. I've been without a computer for a week and am just catching up.

It`s a pity it`s taken a crisis for the family to rally round but better late than never I suppose and I hope this support will be reliable.

What happened to you does make you think about the possibility of future care during a crisis . It was a warning given to me and I did look at care homes just in case.

Perhaps you could discuss this with Pauline`s sons. If they are not voicing their concerns it doesn't mean they don`t have them.

I'm pleased to hear you have made a full recovery but please take it as a warning.

With regard to the raised step. Social Services fitted a wonderful rubberised step for me. It slotted beneath my own door step and has been perfect.

It is similar to this.

https://www.manageathome.co.uk/outdoors/access-equipment/half-steps/

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I'm sorry to hear about your TIA @Agzy. I've been without a computer for a week and am just catching up.

It`s a pity it`s taken a crisis for the family to rally round but better late than never I suppose and I hope this support will be reliable.

What happened to you does make you think about the possibility of future care during a crisis . It was a warning given to me and I did look at care homes just in case.

Perhaps you could discuss this with Pauline`s sons. If they are not voicing their concerns it doesn't mean they don`t have them.

I'm pleased to hear you have made a full recovery but please take it as a warning.

With regard to the raised step. Social Services fitted a wonderful rubberised step for me. It slotted beneath my own door step and has been perfect.

It is similar to this.

https://www.manageathome.co.uk/outdoors/access-equipment/half-steps/
Thank you for wise words and the half steps. I have no idea what type of step they will provide so fingers crossed I may get a choice..

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Given I am not allowed to drive at present we are now wearing out our bus passes and venturing far and wide. Yesterday it was to downtown Birkenhead and because of roadworks and a traffic accident the bus was diverted well away from the usual route and how entertaining it turned out to be. We both know the diversion route well having lived in the area all our lives but for Pauline it was all new again and her amazement at seeing new shops and children’s playgrounds etc was delightful, even though to me they most certainly not new and in all honesty not to her ‘old’ self either. A new view of memory loss for sure.