Care at later stage of dementia

Rekha gupta

Apr 24, 2019
Hii
My mom is suffering frm dementia. She is 7th stage. Now she dis not speak anything nor she able to walk. She is just only around 60 age. She eats food, drink water, milk. I use adult diaper daily for routine bathroom and toilets. As now she is not able to walk a step, i dont know how to take care of her. How to bath her. How to make her sit strate. Plz someone help regarding this as i love my mom so much. I cant see her like this.
Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Contact adult social services and ask for a needs and carers assessment. Also ask for a referral to an occupational therapist or physio.

Rekha gupta

Apr 24, 2019
Contact adult social services and ask for a needs and carers assessment. Also ask for a referral to an occupational therapist or physio.
I am from rajasthan, india.. here adult social service is not available.. plz guide me how to take care of her now in this stage

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That crucial bit of information would have been helpful in the first post. I'm sorry, I have no idea how the Indian system works. I hope someone else can help.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Hii
My mom is suffering frm dementia. She is 7th stage. Now she dis not speak anything nor she able to walk. She is just only around 60 age. She eats food, drink water, milk. I use adult diaper daily for routine bathroom and toilets. As now she is not able to walk a step, i dont know how to take care of her. How to bath her. How to make her sit strate. Plz someone help regarding this as i love my mom so much. I cant see her like this.
Thanks
Is your Mom in bed all day or can you manage to get her up into a chair? If you cannot get her to sit or stand by the sink while you wash her with a cloth, then you could try using wipes for babies to keep her fresh and clean. Are you in touch with anyone else with the same problems? or maybe a Doctor, Nurse or welfare worker?

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Is your Mom in bed all day or can you manage to get her up into a chair? If you cannot get her to sit or stand by the sink while you wash her with a cloth, then you could try using wipes for babies to keep her fresh and clean. Are you in touch with anyone else with the same problems? or maybe a Doctor, Nurse or welfare worker?
Here is another Link to services in India http://ardsi.org/default.aspx

Rekha gupta

Apr 24, 2019
Hii
I can make her sit bt only for 5 min aftrr rhat she started to bend. I have to take her on my arms as she does not walk a step. No i have not in contact with any person who has the same problem. Here dementia is very rare. I will try baby wipes but as she is full adult baby wipes will not be very helpful. Plz suggest me anything by using my nd my mom will become easy little bit.
Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Rekha gupta

Do you have a local hospital or clinic you can ask for help.

Do you have neighbours who can ask for help for you.

When you are giving personal care to your mother would it be easier for you if she was lying on the bed.

You cannot be expected to care for your mum all by yourself. It is too difficult.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When you clean your mum do it while she is in bed. Use a bowl of water and a sponge, or cloth to clean her and dry her on one side, gently turn her over and clean her on the other side, then finally place her on her back to clean her private area. It is best to keep a separate cloth to clean that area. Watch out for pressure sores which look like small red marks usually on the heels, elbows, spine or bottom. These, if left, become blisters and becomes an ulcer. Once this happens it needs medical attention, but you can help to prevent it by moving her in her bed several times a day (ideally every 2 hours) - turning her over and placing her in different positions - and as soon as you start to see a red mark use barrier cream, the sort used on babies bottoms, 2 or 3 times a day.

It sounds like she would need to sit in a reclining chair - one where the back is tipped back rather than upright. In UK I would say that you need a hoist to move her as you may damage your back, but Im guessing that you cant get hold of one.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Rekha gupta

If you have time it's worth looking for Teepa Snow on YouTube. She has videos about caring for people with dementia right up until the end stages including how to dress and help with feeding and drinking when that becomes necessary. I found her very helpful.

Rekha gupta

Apr 24, 2019
Hi @Rekha gupta

If you have time it's worth looking for Teepa Snow on YouTube. She has videos about caring for people with dementia right up until the end stages including how to dress and help with feeding and drinking when that becomes necessary. I found her very helpful.
Thank u so much i will check out the videos u mentioned.

Rekha gupta

Apr 24, 2019
So sorry to hear that. You see I was on my own too but got lots of help in the last 8 months of mums life.
But i have no one to help here. Can u please tell me what is her last stages symtemos and how can i help her better and about what things i should care much in this stage . Thanks

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Rekha gupta
are you able to access vidoe clips via the internet, as some are useful and may help you eg the Teepa Snow ones already mentioned

I did an internet search of videos only using the terms 'giving petsonal czre dementia' with these results ... not sure how much this will help
https://www.google.com/search?clien...ws-serp..0.6.998...30i10k1.0.nncXguqJQeA#ip=1

you could try a variety of searches with more specific terms

and some of the pages on the main AS site may be of use
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/daily-living

sorry not to be able to help more

Rekha gupta

Apr 24, 2019
hi @Rekha gupta
are you able to access vidoe clips via the internet, as some are useful and may help you eg the Teepa Snow ones already mentioned

I did an internet search of videos only using the terms 'giving petsonal czre dementia' with these results ... not sure how much this will help
https://www.google.com/search?clien...ws-serp..0.6.998...30i10k1.0.nncXguqJQeA#ip=1

you could try a variety of searches with more specific terms

and some of the pages on the main AS site may be of use
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/daily-living

sorry not to be able to help more
Thank u so much for your help

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins