My sister has stolen money from our Dad's bank

Claude Barrie

Jun 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

We are new to the forums and this is our first post. From reading others experiences in other posts, we know that we're not alone in this all too common occurrence , however we would still really appreciate any advice from others that have gone through the same or have advice as to what our family can do to address this upsetting issue.

My elderly father still lives in his own home, following the death of our mother in the early 2000's.
He was diagnosed with vascular dementia last year but still has a level of capacity. Like a lot of others, he has moments of complete lucidity, but is becoming increasingly worse, despite medications.
My sister lived with dad, for just over a year, to 'look after him' following his being the victim of an accident in which he suffered a head injury.
Rightly or wrongly, my eldest sister and I are convinced this was the initial trigger for his condition, as there is no family history of dementia or Altzheimers.
Dad had been telling different members of his circle of family and friends for some time that he didn't know where his money was going and that he "didn't have enough money to pay for things."
For the longest time and knowing that he really had "plenty" of money in his main bank and ISA saving accounts, we just put it down to his dementia confusion and didn't even contemplate the real reason for his concerns.
My eldest sister and I feel so bad now for not taking him seriously before we did!
During a visit to see him recently, I was asked by him directly for my help with his money. He was upset and crying because he said his money was "going down and down" and he just couldn't understand why.
Apart from at my mum's funeral, that's the only other time I've seen my Dad cry. I was gutted to see him so distressed.
After a summarily look at his bank statements, I discovered that our sister has taken over £20,000 in cash machine withdrawals and his card had also been used to make purchases (via Paypal, ebay and some international transactions) over the internet in a 12 month period.
Our dad can't walk very far due to his fragility and he no longer drives. Our sister is the only person with access to his bank card.
We also discovered that she had transferred money from his ISA account into his current account. We can only summise that this was to gain access to more of his available 'cash'.
Mum and Dad had only ever used the ISA to save for their own funerals! It makes us sick to learn that our sister could stoop so low as to do this to dad.
We have yet to go through historic statements to discover if this has been going on for a much longer period. I'll update my post if/when we make any further discoveries.

After making these initial discoveries, I discussed things with my eldest sister and we decided to sit down with dad and tell him just what my other sister had been doing and also that we needed to cancel his card and set up internet banking, so that I could help him with his finances going forward.
He was fine with us doing that and was naturally upset that my other sister had taken the money without his knowledge of anything.
My dad is not even bothered about the money. Like he and my mum have always told us children, we can have any amount of money, because we are their kids. All we need to do is ask for help!
This is part of the reason why we are so surprised and upset as to why our sister has just been taking advantage of dad and helping herself to such a large amount of money!
Dad is a very proud man and doesn't want others knowing about what has happened. Moreover, he won't hear of us reporting our sister to the police. He says that that's his daughter and that he still loves her. He's since spoken to her and asked why she's done what she did and she's apologised "but didn't realise she'd taken so much". And with that, all seems to be forgiven with her.
She hasn't even had the decency to offer to repay any of the money!
Dad even gave her a large amount of money (£7000) around 2 months ago to 'start her own business' and he tells me that "she didn't go ahead with that business" but that "she hasn't given me any of the money back again".

You can imagine that my eldest sister and I are still very much agrieved , not about the money per se, but how our sister has gone about this. We really don't care about the money.
That might be hard for some of you to understand, but that's the truth.
We are just upset at how our flesh and blood could do that to her own father!

What can we do now to help protect our dad? Our sister still has access to his home and even has a set of keys. Dad still wants her to go see him.
We have made an initial approach to our local councils adult safeguarding team. Dad had a social worker already, as we had just begun the process to apply for direct payments to enable him to have care assistance once a day.
Dad is unwilling to give us POA as he feels like he'd be losing control of everything. What can we do in that regard? Is there something that his Dr can do to help with this? Do we have to wait until Dad no longer has capacity or is that going to be too late?

Please ask any questions you need to as I'm sure that there's things we will have left out here.

My sister and I look forward to reading your words of advice.
Thanks. David and Sheila.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
You must get financial POA. At some point your dad really won't be able to manage his finances and at that point he won't have the capacity to do a POA either. You will almost certainly need to pay for care for him in future and for that you'll need to access his funds via POA. If you don't have this, you will end up having to take out a Deputyship which is more expensive and takes a lot longer.

Some members have found the best way is to avoid protracted conversations with the PWD (person with dementia) who is often reluctant because they don't understand the issues which will confront you - they think 'they're fine'. You could position it that everyone needs to do a POA, and you could do one for yourself and husband at the same time - me and my OH did reciprocal ones when we were in our 40s (in case of accident/future serious illness).

Alternatively, if you think it would work better, you could remind him how upset he was when he saw his 'money going down' and didn't known why. If you had POA you could have monitored his accounts and saved him that worry.

You could access the forms, so they are ready for him to sign when he agrees. You will also need to find someone to act as a witness (neighbour, friend?)

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/make-lasting-power

Personally I would also remove your sister's keys, or change the locks. She can still go and see your dad but you don't want her to have unlimited access to the house.

concerned4

Jun 3, 2012
Sorry to hear about yet another situation where family are taking advantage, you say your father still has capacity has he been assessed recently? Reason I ask is that your situation mirrors exactly the same situation as mine, sat dad down & asked him why he was giving my sister so much, he wasn't aware but didn't want to have it discussed in front of my sister, sadly things got worse as sister managed to manipulate dad & he in turn revoked my POA, now some seven years later, dad's house had to be sold due to being left destitute, if you have POA contact the bank & ask them to change the limit amount to £100, if your sister has internet banking access, change the password so that she cannot move money about without you knowing, sadly if things deteriorate you will need to involve either Social Services or OPG who will advise, in fact would contact the OPG & ask for advice.
All the best

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
So sorry you’re having this problem with a sibling, it is so stressful.
I agree with Sirena that you must get a POA before it is too late.
As your Dad has told you his worries about his money disappearing I’m sure you know the best way to approach the subject.
Good luck

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Social Services may need to know that funds have disappeared if there is any likelihood of his funds not seeing him out. Rules seem quite stringent. I do understand the broken trust really hurts. X

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Agree with the others here - try to sort the POA. Cancel and request a new bank card and change the locks to the house -I had to change the locks when my dad died otherwise mum would have had nothing left due to my brother playing up. Oh and ensure no one else has access to online banking

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
If your sister is using your fathers bank or credit card, you could scratch the three security numbers off from the back. It won't stop her getting cash from a machine but will prevent any online shopping. I did this on my mums card and it has prevented her from being scammed over the phone on at least three occasions that we know of.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
If your sister is using your fathers bank or credit card, you could scratch the three security numbers off from the back. It won't stop her getting cash from a machine but will prevent any online shopping. I did this on my mums card and it has prevented her from being scammed over the phone on at least three occasions that we know of.

Unfortunately it won’t stop further shopping if your sister has already set up any accounts using your dad’s card . E.g Paypal or Amazon etc. The only safe way is to cancel the card and get a new one.

Claude Barrie

Jun 29, 2019
Thanks to everyone that has offered advice to us so far. I can confirm that we did cancel his card as soon as we found out what had happened and I set up online banking so that we could keep an eye on his money and help out with direct debits etc should he need our help in future. I didn't think about stratching off the security code on the card and so will definitely do this next time I see dad. Your words of support are so very welcomed. It has been such a very difficult time for our family. Thank you again for everyone's kind help.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Hello

Getting LPAs in place for finance and health and welfare will save you problems in the future. I can only make a suggestion which worked for me and my mum who was against having them as “she could deal with her affairs”. Trust may be an issue for your dad remembering the actions of one of your sisters, but here goes.
1) I stressed the LPAs could be registered with the court of protection but did not need to be used unless absolutely required. An insurance policy for the future was how I put it.
2) I live with my mum in her house. I gave a possible example. Mum suppose you are in hospital and before you come home some adaptations are needed to your home. Yes I can pay for them but it is not my house so on what authority would I do that. Would you want to have to arrange that from a hospital bed? Mum is practical and saw the benefit of drawing up LPAs.

I will only start to use them when in future my mum really is unable to deal with her affairs. Her independent nature helps to hold up the progress of the dementia, so I will only reluctantly take over her affairs in future. For now we live the fiction of her independence, based on me helping and supporting her. I am in the centre of her world making all the wheels turn, but to her mind she is still in full control of all her affairs.

Now let’s try and put the above into your situation. Dad with LPAs I can best help you in future and reduce the risk of you being taken advantage of. If you had to go into hospital I can better deal with your affairs in anticipation of you coming home.

Your dad could appoint you and your eldest sister as joint attorneys but in those circumstances you may in future be torn about what is best for your dad eg when and if he has to go into a care home. Sorry I do not wish to cause you any upset, but your dad’s dementia journey may well involve some tough choices down the road. Sit down with your eldest sister and agree how any LPAs should be drawn up before further discussion with your dad. It would be heart breaking if he agreed then you two found you were not in agreement on who would be the attorney, if both of you how decisions are made, etc. If you are unclear on this seek advice and then agree amongst the pair of you how to go forward on that important point. Best if one of you were attorney with the other in reserve “just in case anything happened to the other”. It is easy to focus on trying to help the PWD and miss the point we are all mortal.

Caring for someone with dementia is tough. You have been let down badly by a sibling. That will have hurt emotionally. I suggest get your feelings about that clear in your mind now. The dementia journey will throw up other emotionally tough moments. This one you can resolve now. On going anger, forgive and forget, forgive and remember, do you want that sibling in your dad’s care environment when he is more dependent? Again not seeking to cause upset, just point out matters you can deal with more fully now, resolve and move on, not when you have more challenges to deal with in future.

Please keep on the forum. Even if you only read the threads. I am just over two years in with my mum. This forum got me through with advice on several issues and has removed my feelings of being alone dealing with matters. Wish I could say things get easier but they do not. However your resilience and experience will grow, giving you wisdom. Please remember you are never alone. Sometimes it is better to seek advice here, with people who have done the miles. You seem to have one good sibling to rely on. Dementia is tough on the sufferer but often it seems to show clearly the good reliable, supportive, true family and friends and then the others in a different light.

Hope I have done some good posting. My intention is not to cause upset, just try and support from a distance, raise points you may not have considered. Might have got some of it wrong, but based on good intentions. Please you and your trusted sister take care.

Claude Barrie

Jun 29, 2019
Thank you so much Whisperer, you hot the nail on the head on so many levels!
Your advice is sound and I will discuss the things you have raised with my sister and try to talk to dad together with regards to the LPA thing. I think that the whole idea of losing control of his affairs is paramount in dad's mind. Maybe it's more forefront in his mind now he's aware of what had happened to him already. He knows in his mind that we would never do anything to him the same as what my other sister did, but then again in his mind its happened once, so what's to stop that happening again! We can only try and I'll let you all know how things go when and if we make any progress.
In fact only a couple of days ago I looked at his bank account to discover that following a visit from my sister, she had once again been to the cash point and drawn out some more cash! I immediately contacted my other sister to alert her what had happened and when she went to see dad, he said that he knew about it and he'd asked her to get the money out for him. The fact that my dad doesn't actually need that amount of cash at 8.30 at night leafs me to believe that my sister had asked him for some money and he'd felt sorry for her and gave her the cash. Now don't get me wrong, we absolutely don't care who or how much my dad gives his money to, but in the circumstances, we just felt that dad had yet again been taken advantage of by her. He's probably forgotten what she's done to him over the last year and just given her money to help her. We just can't come to terms with the fact that she obviously has no shame in still taking advantage of his good nature, in the knowledge that she knows now that we know what she's done and that she can now get away with it with his blessing!
Anyway, thanks again for your help and advice. Like I said, I'll keep you in the loop of any developments.

Hello

Getting LPAs in place for finance and health and welfare will save you problems in the future. I can only make a suggestion which worked for me and my mum who was against having them as “she could deal with her affairs”. Trust may be an issue for your dad remembering the actions of one of your sisters, but here goes.
1) I stressed the LPAs could be registered with the court of protection but did not need to be used unless absolutely required. An insurance policy for the future was how I put it.
2) I live with my mum in her house. I gave a possible example. Mum suppose you are in hospital and before you come home some adaptations are needed to your home. Yes I can pay for them but it is not my house so on what authority would I do that. Would you want to have to arrange that from a hospital bed? Mum is practical and saw the benefit of drawing up LPAs.

I will only start to use them when in future my mum really is unable to deal with her affairs. Her independent nature helps to hold up the progress of the dementia, so I will only reluctantly take over her affairs in future. For now we live the fiction of her independence, based on me helping and supporting her. I am in the centre of her world making all the wheels turn, but to her mind she is still in full control of all her affairs.

Now let’s try and put the above into your situation. Dad with LPAs I can best help you in future and reduce the risk of you being taken advantage of. If you had to go into hospital I can better deal with your affairs in anticipation of you coming home.

Your dad could appoint you and your eldest sister as joint attorneys but in those circumstances you may in future be torn about what is best for your dad eg when and if he has to go into a care home. Sorry I do not wish to cause you any upset, but your dad’s dementia journey may well involve some tough choices down the road. Sit down with your eldest sister and agree how any LPAs should be drawn up before further discussion with your dad. It would be heart breaking if he agreed then you two found you were not in agreement on who would be the attorney, if both of you how decisions are made, etc. If you are unclear on this seek advice and then agree amongst the pair of you how to go forward on that important point. Best if one of you were attorney with the other in reserve “just in case anything happened to the other”. It is easy to focus on trying to help the PWD and miss the point we are all mortal.

Caring for someone with dementia is tough. You have been let down badly by a sibling. That will have hurt emotionally. I suggest get your feelings about that clear in your mind now. The dementia journey will throw up other emotionally tough moments. This one you can resolve now. On going anger, forgive and forget, forgive and remember, do you want that sibling in your dad’s care environment when he is more dependent? Again not seeking to cause upset, just point out matters you can deal with more fully now, resolve and move on, not when you have more challenges to deal with in future.

Please keep on the forum. Even if you only read the threads. I am just over two years in with my mum. This forum got me through with advice on several issues and has removed my feelings of being alone dealing with matters. Wish I could say things get easier but they do not. However your resilience and experience will grow, giving you wisdom. Please remember you are never alone. Sometimes it is better to seek advice here, with people who have done the miles. You seem to have one good sibling to rely on. Dementia is tough on the sufferer but often it seems to show clearly the good reliable, supportive, true family and friends and then the others in a different light.

Hope I have done some good posting. My intention is not to cause upset, just try and support from a distance, raise points you may not have considered. Might have got some of it wrong, but based on good intentions. Please you and your trusted sister take care.

silversea2020

May 12, 2019
What an absolutely awful situation this is. I think I’d be confronting sister now and say that you’ll not only be involving SS as there’s a safe guarding issue as she’s technically been ‘stealing’ from her father and the fact that she’s had SO much money this may be considered a deprivation of your fathers assets and that you will also lodge a report with the police (regardless that you’ve successfully got new card etc). Sometimes a short, sharp shock shows that you mean business - it’s quite disgusting isn’t it what goes on within families ..... my own brother managed to successfully empty our aged mums bank account ....I’ve never ever forgiven him for the worry & massive upset he caused her in her late 80’s .... I empathise

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Did your sister use his new bank card?I just wonder if you or your sister should keep the card otherwise she will keep helping herself. She must already know the pin to have drawn some money out recently. She obviously has no moral conscience. It's a terrible thing to do. Your dad needs protecting from her. Just ask him to let you know when he needs some money but I wouldn't get much cash out for your dad to keep in the house.

Claude Barrie

Jun 29, 2019
@silversea2020
Dad doesn't want the police involved but I've told adult safeguarding and I'm just waiting for dad's case worker to call me back to discuss. I'm so sorry to hear about your own experience with your family. It is so very upsetting indeed. We still can't believe it's happened!

@Moggymad
Yes she has used the new card. We kept dad's card with my other sister after discussing the very same subject with him and that all he had to do was ask if he needed any cash or taken shopping. My sister could then either get him money (not that he really needs cash much these days) or she could take him shopping or do it for him. Only a few days later he couldn't recall why we had 'taken' his card away from him and he demanded it back again! Said that we were trying to do things that he hadn't agreed to (which he had) and when we explained that we'd had the discussion about keeping the card safe for him, he just said that he wasn't that bad yet that he couldn't look after his own card and demanded it back. Less than 24hrs later, our dearest sister was using it to draw out more cash again. When asked about the withdrawal, Dad said he'd asked her to get some cash for him but we know that he doesn't need cash for himself as he doesn't go anywhere to spend it! We know she's asked him for money and he's just given her permission to get some. She knows that she can get away with it now just by asking. Unlike before when she was just doing it behind his back!
She has always known dad's pin number as she used to live with him and used to do his shopping etc. Yes it's a horrible situation. I would not wish it on my worst enemy!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
When my husband was at the stage of wanting to feel the independence of having a bank card, but not really being capable of handling money (he had twice emptied our bank account, and spent the lot of rubbish!) I did two things: I opened a second bank account that he didn't know about, and every time his pension was paid into the joint account, it was immediatly, apart from a few euro, transferred into the second account, to which he didn't have access. Secondly, I got him a Bank Card that didn't have a chip, so he couldn't use it at the atm. I kept the card that had a chip/pin number, so I could get money out if needed, and I used the second account for paying bills, etc.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Without POA you may have difficulty doing anything with his accounts but you do need a different PIN. If your dad is mobile enough & in agreement could you or your sister go along to the bank & arrange a third party signatory on his account/have joint names?My sister did that with mum's account as we don't have POA & she was able to set up Internet banking, draw out money from her current a/c, have bank statements sent to her address & request new pin etc. The only thing she can't do is take money from her ISA so I don't know how your sister managed to transfer money from your dads ISA to his current a/c. The bank need putting in the picture about what is happening. They may have other suggestions. Unless they are aware, what would stop your sister doing what I have suggested? I appreciate how your dad feels. It will be hard for him to acknowledge his daughters betrayal but surely there must be a way of protecting him from this without him necessarily being fully aware of what you are trying to do.

Last edited:

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
Without POA you may have difficulty doing anything with his accounts but you do need a different PIN. If your dad is mobile enough & in agreement could you or your sister go along to the bank & arrange a third party signatory on his account/have joint names?My sister did that with mum's account as we don't have POA & she was able to set up Internet banking, draw out money from her current a/c, have bank statements sent to her address & request new pin etc. The only thing she can't do is take money from her ISA so I don't know how your sister managed to transfer money from your dads ISA to his current a/c. The bank need putting in the picture about what is happening. They may have other suggestions. Unless they are aware, what would stop your sister doing what I have suggested? I appreciate how your dad feels. It will be hard for him to acknowledge his daughters betrayal but surely there must be a way of protecting him from this without him necessarily being fully aware of what you are trying to do.

Sorry I can't add any more to the practical advice other members have offered but I'd just like to say that your dad sounds like such a lovely forgiving gentleman after such a terrible betrayal. What a treasure he is.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does your dad ever actually need his bank card?
If he doesnt and he just wants the security of having it on him, you could cancel that card, but let him keep it on him and take the new card away for you to keep.

If he realises that it doesnt work, then its time for "love lies". You have ordered a new one from the bank - it will be arriving any day now......

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
If he doesnt and he just wants the security of having it on him, you could cancel that card, but let him keep it on him and take the new card away for you to keep.

If he realises that it doesnt work, then its time for "love lies". You have ordered a new one from the bank - it will be arriving any day now......

Sneaky but brilliant, @canary !

silversea2020

May 12, 2019

Excellent advice as always @canary

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger