Probable last goodbye

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
Hello everyone,

Wednesday dad had another fall at home, he has steadily become weaker since mum's admission to the care home became permanent. Over the last few weeks he has been clearing out mums things from the house, letters, things mum had hoarded, we believe this has exhausted him and he fell. Once in hospital it has been found his calcium levels are very high again an indicator his cancers are progressing, we have been told to expect the worse case tomorrow about his condition. Now some honest advice is needed, for some reason mum has been asking for him as she said he said she must go to the hospital, this gave me goose bumps, do we take her, after 70 years of marriage do we let them both hold hands once more, we all know there will be a terrible time ahead for dad, and also for mum.
This is a difficult decision to make, has anyone else gone through this senario?

Thank you for all your support in advance.

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
I have no experience in this but everything in my heart says you have to let them see each other again. Even if it’s hard for you or creates issues if your mum and dad both want it you have to arrange it
That is all based on my heart and absolutely no experience whatsoever. I know this is a terribly hard decision for you, but how will you feel in the future if you didn’t set up a meeting? If you think you’ll have any regrets for not doing it then you should do
More people will come on with far more experience and support.
Thinking of you x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry hrh, I have no experience of this either, but want to wish you strength for the hard days to come. I hope you can find a solution that brings comfort to you, to your dad and to your mum in spite of the problems.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please let your parents have some time together @hrh.

It will be terribly upsetting for all of you but after 70 years together something will surely shine through the dementia even if it is not immediately obvious.

You will need strength to arrange this and even to witness it but it may be the last thing you can do for them as a couple.

My mother had a long term friend whose parents sounded like yours. Once one died the other followed within 3 weeks.

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
Please let your parents have some time together @hrh.

It will be terribly upsetting for all of you but after 70 years together something will surely shine through the dementia even if it is not immediately obvious.

You will need strength to arrange this and even to witness it but it may be the last thing you can do for them as a couple.

My mother had a long term friend whose parents sounded like yours. Once one died the other followed within 3 weeks.

We are taking mum to see dad today. We pray for strength, compassion and love.
Thank you everyone

Dosey

Nov 27, 2017
Thinking of you. Hope all goes well for your parents. You have made the right decision in my option. Sending big hugs to all x

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
We made the right decision, they were loving and kissing one another, mum as innocent as could be, dad was happy to see her. We stayed as long as we could. Their last goodbye x

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
We made the right decision, they were loving and kissing one another, mum as innocent as could be, dad was happy to see her. We stayed as long as we could. Their last goodbye x
Really glad it went well and that you feel that you made the right decision