Pneumonia!

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Hi everyone
On Tuesday my husband was again admitted to hospital. He suddenly became unwell after lunch having been out shopping with me in the morning. I called the doctor who had me taken in within the hour. Luckily our stay in the main A&E dept wasn't too long as our hospital has a dedicated elderly persons area which is much quieter and more comfortable. During the time we were there he became steadily worse and more agitated in part due to his chronic back pain which sent helped by lying on a hospital trolley. Eventually they have permission for him to have his stronger painkillers which helped to calm him assessments pain so that he slept for a short time. Then began the long wait for a suitable bed in the acute medical unit. He was moved into there at 11pm and it was a relief to get him into a more comfortable place. By this time they had him on oxygen, had an intravenous like in with fluids to dehydrate him and had catheters him and done chest x-ray and blood tests.
I had to go home to try to sleep because I was exhausted. Leaving him in the care of others in that state was difficult. At 2am I received a phone call to say they were moving him to intensive care because he needed more intervention than they could give. His blood pressure had dropped and his heart wasn't working very well. They didn't need me to go.
When I saw him next morning he looked dreadful though was able to talk to me quite rationally. He was very ill, pneumonia. They were giving him various intravenous medication and a very high concentration of oxygen. Of course he doesn't understand how I'll be is. He was very tired having had very little sleep but I did manage to get him to doze for a while.
The big and most worrying change came the next day. I arrived to a barrage of abuse because he's wanted neither earlier. He was shouting at anyone who wanted him to do things he didn't want to. Trying to get out of bed, fiddling with the various wires and tubes, totally confused, agitated and hallucinating. I stayed for a couple of hours trying to calm him as get him to sleep because he's been awake all night. Eventually it became too much for me and I got upset because I couldn't help him and was constantly being shouted at. The nurse told me to take a break and they would deal with him which I did. I think it just reminded me of the abuse I used to get before his diagnosis and medication. Eventually they had to sedate him and he slept. I queried whether he was getting his antidepressant medication which was what helped to keep him calm, it seems he hadn't had it since he was admitted so I suggested that might help.
Yesterday totally different again I think mainly because he had slept Much calmer but still terribly confused and hallucinating. Constantly mumbling to himself and finding it difficult to get his words out. Physically extremely weak, can hold a cup but his grip keeps slipping. Medically he's improving so they are now moving him to respiratory high dependency unit.
My biggest worry now is what extent he is going to recover from this. I fear this whole episode could have progressed his dementia to the point of no return. The way he is at the moment makes me think of people I've seen who have much later stage dementia. I know his recovery is going to be a long haul but I wonder if he will even be well enough together home and what sort of care he will need if he does. So many questions that I doubt can be answered yet. I know that medical emergencies can cause people with dementia to lose ground very rapidly and I worry this could be th case this time. I think I will certainly bed to make a case for more help or a care home but I know he won't want that. I will certainly need some respite which is something I've had difficulty considering since his last admission for a chest infection in April.
Has anyone had a similar experience and can offer any advice please?

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Hi everyone
On Tuesday my husband was again admitted to hospital. He suddenly became unwell after lunch having been out shopping with me in the morning. I called the doctor who had me taken in within the hour. Luckily our stay in the main A&E dept wasn't too long as our hospital has a dedicated elderly persons area which is much quieter and more comfortable. During the time we were there he became steadily worse and more agitated in part due to his chronic back pain which sent helped by lying on a hospital trolley. Eventually they have permission for him to have his stronger painkillers which helped to calm him assessments pain so that he slept for a short time. Then began the long wait for a suitable bed in the acute medical unit. He was moved into there at 11pm and it was a relief to get him into a more comfortable place. By this time they had him on oxygen, had an intravenous like in with fluids to dehydrate him and had catheters him and done chest x-ray and blood tests.
I had to go home to try to sleep because I was exhausted. Leaving him in the care of others in that state was difficult. At 2am I received a phone call to say they were moving him to intensive care because he needed more intervention than they could give. His blood pressure had dropped and his heart wasn't working very well. They didn't need me to go.
When I saw him next morning he looked dreadful though was able to talk to me quite rationally. He was very ill, pneumonia. They were giving him various intravenous medication and a very high concentration of oxygen. Of course he doesn't understand how I'll be is. He was very tired having had very little sleep but I did manage to get him to doze for a while.
The big and most worrying change came the next day. I arrived to a barrage of abuse because he's wanted neither earlier. He was shouting at anyone who wanted him to do things he didn't want to. Trying to get out of bed, fiddling with the various wires and tubes, totally confused, agitated and hallucinating. I stayed for a couple of hours trying to calm him as get him to sleep because he's been awake all night. Eventually it became too much for me and I got upset because I couldn't help him and was constantly being shouted at. The nurse told me to take a break and they would deal with him which I did. I think it just reminded me of the abuse I used to get before his diagnosis and medication. Eventually they had to sedate him and he slept. I queried whether he was getting his antidepressant medication which was what helped to keep him calm, it seems he hadn't had it since he was admitted so I suggested that might help.
Yesterday totally different again I think mainly because he had slept Much calmer but still terribly confused and hallucinating. Constantly mumbling to himself and finding it difficult to get his words out. Physically extremely weak, can hold a cup but his grip keeps slipping. Medically he's improving so they are now moving him to respiratory high dependency unit.
My biggest worry now is what extent he is going to recover from this. I fear this whole episode could have progressed his dementia to the point of no return. The way he is at the moment makes me think of people I've seen who have much later stage dementia. I know his recovery is going to be a long haul but I wonder if he will even be well enough together home and what sort of care he will need if he does. So many questions that I doubt can be answered yet. I know that medical emergencies can cause people with dementia to lose ground very rapidly and I worry this could be th case this time. I think I will certainly bed to make a case for more help or a care home but I know he won't want that. I will certainly need some respite which is something I've had difficulty considering since his last admission for a chest infection in April.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes, I have been, twice. My husband did recover, not too much deterioration either but it is frightening to see. X

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
The way he is at the moment makes me think of people I've seen who have much later stage dementia.
I am so sorry to hear your news. I hope your worst fears are not realised even though hospital admission is a great trauma for a person with this disease. They don’t know where they are, why they are there or what is going on. My husband had a similar reaction when he had an emergency admission even before his diagnosis. He did recover from the trauma and stopped the strange behaviour but the disease progressed in the usual way anyway neither faster nor slower.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don`t think anyone can tell you what to expect @yorkie46 because pneumonia is such a serious condition as you obviously know.

It must be both worrying about what will happen in the future and frightening to see what is happening now.

Perhaps the Pals people at the hospital will be able to give you some information about applying for support when your husband recovers. Also there is nothing to lose to contact Social Services now while you have the time to ask where you stand with them.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Hi everyone
Hi Yorkie46
Suprizingly similar circumstances here, so OH YES I do understand......I haven’t posted for a while, various reason but read your post, and so here I am I just had to ..OH has vascular Dementia and is immobile now....but can still be strong with his voice his only form of independence!
Monday OH was asOK as OK is! DN was in at lunch time for insulin injection and took BPand oxygen levels all good......by tea time he remained in his chair for his tea carers struggled to get him into wheelchair......7.30 with difficulty he was transferred to his bed(his request) I gave him night tablets at 8pm he spoke to me at 10 when I went to bed (single bed at the side of his bed) 3am I woke to him couching and gurgling! He responded when I spoke and I raised the back of his bed to easy the couching, went to the loo...on my returned he was unresponsive, gurgling in throat....rattling on chest......while I was on phone to ambulance the gurgling stopped...I thought he had died..........crew on site ....oxygen and drugs straight to resuscitate at local hospital......pneumonia and urine infection!!! Reached all levels of sepsis...( six weeks after recovering from sepsis a 5week hospital stay!)
So fast...so frightening......after intravenous antibiotics...responded...... now on antibiotic tablets....home late yesterday...mobility worse as so weak..........however still very verbal to me! Nothing new there then!!!!
Not sure how things will go from here!!!!!
I send you sincere thoughts and empathy..........which is all I can do!!!!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Same here @yorkie46 Dad had 3 weeks in hospital in February. Pneumonia followed by a heart attack and a stroke, was also delirious for most of the first week and lost 2 stone in weight. He had 3 falls, one on each ward. Home in March unable to stand properly without a frame but somehow we managed and now he gets around very well.

Yes it affected his dementia and at first it was very difficult and now he is a lot better and not really a lot of trouble although he can only be left for short periods in the day time but not at night. He has recovered more than I expected but it is a definite downturn from before.

I feel for you, it is very hard.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
He is probably suffering from hyperactive delirium which happens to a lot of people with dementia with an infection in strange surroundings. Pneumonia is serious, but he can recover. However, if he is technically medically fit to be discharged but you don't think you can cope with his new presentation, you need to talk to the hospital social worker. Do not allow them to send him back home before there is a care package in place that you can live with.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Thank you all for your thoughts, experiences and advice. All very gratefully received. My thoughts to all of you who are struggling in similar circumstances. My husband has improved considerably since I first posted to the point where this morning he is off all intravenous infusions and just in lower amount of oxygen. They plan to transfer from intensive care to an ordinary ward when a bed becomes available. So not out of the woods yet by any means, still very weak and chest not recovered but medically so much better. Mentally it's a very different story. He's still confused and rambling, hallucinating at times and a long way from where he was before this happened. I know things are not right when he doesn't ask about his cat! My biggest worry now is whether he will return to anywhere near the stage he was at mentally. I have made a definite decision to ask for help this time. A nurse yesterday told me I should refuse to have him home, if I'm fact he ever is fit to come home, unless an adequate care package is put in place. I need this to include regular respite so that I can have a break to see my family who live 250 miles away, including my 94 year old mum who is in care with advanced dementia. I think because I've seen what's happened to mum I can see the path my husband is likely to take. I will also speak to my admiral nurse about the best way forward. I fear it's going to be a long journey.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Hi Yorkie,
I understand your concerns, every hospital visit has me in a tiz , not just about the immediate, but the what next.
I have had a lot of hospital visits with my mum so am speaking from my experience, but as you know, everyone differs.
Each hospital visit, be it for an operation, A&E, infection, accident, affected the dementia and in my opinion it put her back and she never got back to how she was.
I worried about how I would cope but I did, putting her first.
However after reading so many posts on TP I now feel that I should have insisted on more support which you should do x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Hi Yorkie46
Suprizingly similar circumstances here, so OH YES I do understand......I haven’t posted for a while, various reason but read your post, and so here I am I just had to ..OH has vascular Dementia and is immobile now....but can still be strong with his voice his only form of independence!
Monday OH was asOK as OK is! DN was in at lunch time for insulin injection and took BPand oxygen levels all good......by tea time he remained in his chair for his tea carers struggled to get him into wheelchair......7.30 with difficulty he was transferred to his bed(his request) I gave him night tablets at 8pm he spoke to me at 10 when I went to bed (single bed at the side of his bed) 3am I woke to him couching and gurgling! He responded when I spoke and I raised the back of his bed to easy the couching, went to the loo...on my returned he was unresponsive, gurgling in throat....rattling on chest......while I was on phone to ambulance the gurgling stopped...I thought he had died..........crew on site ....oxygen and drugs straight to resuscitate at local hospital......pneumonia and urine infection!!! Reached all levels of sepsis...( six weeks after recovering from sepsis a 5week hospital stay!)
So fast...so frightening......after intravenous antibiotics...responded...... now on antibiotic tablets....home late yesterday...mobility worse as so weak..........however still very verbal to me! Nothing new there then!!!!
Not sure how things will go from here!!!!!
I send you sincere thoughts and empathy..........which is all I can do!!!!

So sorry, Lady M, take care Alice x

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Moved yesterday evening to ordinary ward, the same one he was in at the end of April! He's in a 4 bed ward all men in there pretty sick. He's still confused and very weak. He needs to eat but doesn't want the food they provide. I took some small sandwiches for him this afternoon but he couldn't eat them. He seems to be unable to swallow very easily other than liquid or very soft things like I've cream. The sandwiches just formed into a ball in his mouth which he spat out. He managed the custard filling out of a custard tart. The sister told me he needs. Something more stodgy with more carbohydrates but if he can't swallow it what do I do. He's now asked me to take some bananas and custard tomorrow. The very nice nurse from his last stay was in duty this afternoon so I talked to get about it. She said she'd refer to speech and language therapist who is attached to the unit because she can help with swallowing issues. I hope this isn't another problem. They also gave him fortisip which he didn't like this morning but the nice nurse got him a strawberry flavour which he liked. His slippers have been lost in the transfer between wards ,don't know where they have ended up. They may turn up otherwise I will be claiming for replacements. I noticed on my way out today that they hold a carers cafe on the unit every Thursday from 4-6. I think while he's in I might try going, I wouldn't be able to normally. He asked about his cat briefly today, first time. I'm the past he's usually asked repeatedly about her. It's difficult making conversation and he gets tired so quickly so I don't stay long at a time. We're lucky we live very close to the hospital so it isn't difficult to go home. I'm hoping the physios will at least so some bed exercises tomorrow. He's started asking about coming home again. I've told him he won't be home any time soon and when he does he needs to be able to walk and we may need help at home. I've told him in not getting any younger and I'm not strong enough to care for him on my own. He agreed but will have forgotten by now. Watch this space!