Self-harm while sleeping.

Caedric

Jun 26, 2019
Hello

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this before in a dementia patient. My dad, 5 years diagnosed, slaps his head at night with his hand. This occurs while he is asleep or awake and usually happens when he's lying down. It doesn't appear to cause him injury but his doctors are pretty confused by the behaviour and it's having detrimental effects on me and my mum as we both work as live in carers for him now but it's getting to the point where we are operating without sleep as this slapping sound rings around the house.

We've tried quite a few things but nothing has worked. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH scratches himself while he is asleep - to the point making himself bleed - but at least it doesnt disturb me during the night.

I think it is some sort of sleep dysfunction. Does he have Lewy Bodies Dementia?

Caedric

Jun 26, 2019
My OH scratches himself while he is asleep - to the point making himself bleed - but at least it doesnt disturb me during the night.

I think it is some sort of sleep dysfunction. Does he have Lewy Bodies Dementia?

I don't think so based on the description of that type of dementia. All we were ever told is he had early stages of dementia and that was that. Essentially he had his brain scan and then we were left to go it alone, we've only recently started getting a little more help.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Caedric
a warm welcome to DTP
you say that this happens when your dad is lying down, so seems to be when his head is flat on the bed ... I wonder whether it's linked to some kind of blood pressure change when he's horizontal, maybe some tinitus ? ... might you put more pillows under his head ?
would he wear a padded balaclava or something like amatuer boxers wear to protect their heads, so he can slap more safely and quietly

Caedric

Jun 26, 2019
He does have atrial fibrillation also. We have tried raising him using an adjustable bed but doesn't seem to help either. I will get something to wear on his head, for his health for than anything. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.