goodbye for now

MrsChristmas

Jun 1, 2015
I joined this forum in June 2015 when my mother first began showing signs of forgetfulness. Now, four years later (typically for elderly dementia sufferers) at nearly 94, Mum's deterioration has been painful to witness but no change to circumstances in those four years. We are not further forward in getting Mum to agree to accepting any support/help, despite many calls and emails to social care and Mum's GP.

A paramedic contacted my brother and me today (in response to my emails to Social Care) and advised us to get Mum to agree to go to a GP for urine, blood and blood pressure checks. We think she will refuse to go nor would she agree to a paramedic coming to her home. We are both seeing Mum next week for a last ditch attempt to persuade her to visit her GP or agree for a paramedic to visit to carry out routine tests. Both of us know what the answer will be.

At nearly 94 it probably won't be poor memory, eyesight, hearing or mobility but more a crisis then hospital then care home or the inevitable.

Goodbye and thank you.

Mrs Christmas.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
@MrsChristmas - how terribly sad. I can feel the despondency in what you have written.

Sadly, I have no words of wisdom for you. It is such a lottery as to how 'helpful' care providers will be in these (very common) circumstances. Yet another area where some awareness and training would be so very useful for all parties.

All I can do is send a hug and hope that your Mum will accept some help very soon.

Take care X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It does seem the end of the tunnel remains dark @MrsChristmas

I wish you well and hope you know Dementia Talking Point will still be here in the future should you need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar