Mirtazapine and hallucinations

InnerGeek

Feb 9, 2016
Does anyone have any experience of mirtazapine causing hallucinations in their loved one?

Dad started on it about 5 weeks ago. He's never had a proper hallucination before, that I'm aware of, but in the last week the carers have reported several hallucinations, one of which resulted in him packing his bags and trying to leave because he "had been told he had to go".

Just trying to work out whether this is natural progression of this awful disease or something I should speak to the older mental health team about.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @InnerGeek. I haven’t had experience of that particular drug causing problems but when my dad’s medication was changed it caused problems which were resolved by changing it again.
I would speak to the doctors just to rule it out if you feel the drug may be to blame. It’s all trial and error and not all drugs suit everyone.

InnerGeek

Feb 9, 2016
Thank you @Bunpoots, I have a meeting with the older mental health team who originally prescribed the mirtazapine on Wednesday so will definitely be bringing it up with them then. Dad has been more dehydrated than normal so it's highly possible that this has also had an effect.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Dehydration will definitely have a negative effect @InnerGeek. I sometimes used to find dad completely confused when I got to his and just having a drink would get him back to normal - his normal anyway..

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Hi @InnerGeek my husband has been on it since last September. At first it was half a tablet, but after some behaviour problems, it was upped to a whole tablet. Sometimes he has bad dreams, and can’t sleep, but he is better with it than without.