Soaking wet duvet

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
OH still asleep when Carer arrived this morning at 8am. Went to wake him and found him, asleep, stark naked on, not in, his bed. Kyle sheet slightly wet but duvet wringing. Surprising really but this is the first time he has done this.

I have discovered that the duvet will not fit into the washing machine and presumably it won't go into the tumble drier either. It is pouring rain outside. I am at a loss as to what to do. No Laundrette anywhere nearby. Am considering washing it in the bath and leaving it to drip dry there? Any better ideas?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
That’s what I did to deal with the immediate problem of the duvet not fitting in the washing machine @Wifenotcarer.
Now I use two summer weight (4.5tog) duvets, one in summer and both together in winter, so that I can fit them in the machine in case of accidents although in our house it was the rabbit who peed all over my daughter’s bed..

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've had to wash our duvet (bonfire night dog had jumped on bed) and it didn't fit in the washing machine so I did it in the bath stamping on it, like the grape pressing you see and threw it out the bathroom window to avoid water through the house. Can't remember how long it took to dry as was years ago and we had other duvets. I normally take to laundrette.

The kids single bed ones fit in washing machine - well son's does anyway (he took a long time to grow out of night time accidents)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The 4.5 tog do usually fit in the washing machine. It’s worth buying a couple of cheaper ones once this begins. I find the tumble dryer fluffs it up when it’s partly dry.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
When my wife (PWD) manged to be sick all over our king-sized duvet, I rang round local launderettes and was shocked how much they charged - it was cheaper (and quicker) to buy a new one! Got a fairly cheap winter weight one which is actually rather very good.

MoodyC

Sep 22, 2018
I was worried myself about this happening to us. Until January we were sharing the bed still when I decided that I should make changes whilst the sales were on and switched to two single beds with double duvets. But his soon changed to single when he had an 'wetting accident'. So using a single duvet (and one spare just in case) is working well here.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It won't help you with today's problem, but I purchased duvets which were basically panels zipped together.

It was great for small accidents as I only needed to unzip the soiled section and wash that. It was also easy to wash the whole duvet in one go by just unzipping the panels and then putting them in the washing machine.

Prior to buying the zipped duvets, I did exactly what you have done and had to wash the duvet in the bath - but it then took an age to get dry. Fortunately, it only happened once and I was able to make up a bed using an unzipped sleeping bag I had - until I could get the duvet dry and back on the bed a day or so later!

Tea and. toast

May 8, 2019
Hello Wifenotcarer I have had this problem with the person I care for for 7 or 8 months. Their incontinence problem is being investigated. The double sheets have to be changed everyday The washer I've got now is smaller than previous one. So I used to buy new duvets or I've had a couple cleaned at the Community laundry. Like Philbo said that cost moiney too. My sister managed to wash a couple of duvets destined for the tip.

Then I discovered waterproof duvet protectors which have a zipper and are breathable..I used to wash them but took ages to dry so started to spray them with an antibacterial surface cleaner (not sure if you can mention names of products on here as fairly new to the forum). So it has saved a lot of money and time taking things to the tip. Not sure if you are supposed to spray water proof duvet covers but I do. You can also get different waterproof duvets but are more expensive.

.I've also have had to get rid of numerous pillows as they don't wash well so going to busy some pillow protectors. So now have to find pads that will keep the person dry at night. A bit of a trial and error at the moment. Sorry for the long post.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti