Mum, only waking to eat and go to the toilet.

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
The title kinda says it all.
My mum, 83 has recently moved in with me, after a couple of unsettled days and the odd time when she surprises us by waking up and speaking in sentences her days ( and nights) consist of her sleeping. She has carers for 3.5 hours a day spread across 3 visits. They get her washed etc and give her food/drinks and are brilliant, but l think that if they didnt encourage her up she would sleep even more. Often while they are here she constantly wants to go back to bed. She sometimes wakes to use the toilet and can get herself there and manage herself if just for a wee, needs help with the rest.
I read and re-read posts here where even PWD who appear to be late stage are up and about, walking in the garden etc or having conversations, mum isnt like that, she doesnt watch TV or listen to the radio, or read. She does nothing except sleep. Some days she will speak in sentaces others just single words..she eats well, though soft food and drinks well too..
Anyone else had experience of the level of sleep?
I would say its been more noticeable since November last year but in the last month or so gone to this level.
No medication changes and no UTI.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother went through at least a couple of stages of extreme sleeping. These phases happened in the middle stages of the disease and lasted a few months, if I remember properly. I think it was her way of escaping the disease.

The second time, I got the doctor to prescribe Ritalin, after I essentially nagged for quite a while. I asked for this as I had read an article, in I think the New York Times, saying that Ritalin had shown some good results in treating depression and lethargy in the elderly. I was feeling quite desperate and was willing to try anything. It did help my mother and she was on it for a number of months.