As one DoLS closes ...

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
... another one opens. Last year my wife was subject to a Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding order (DoLS) in respect of her time at the respite centre that we used a few times. I was happy to be appointed her Personal Representative. This week I received a letter to say that my role is now ended as she will not be going to the respite centre again. The next day I received more paperwork establishing a new DoLS in respect of the residential home in which she now resides. Once again I have agreed to be her Personal Representative.

I view this as a positive step forward. My wife is unable to understand her care and accommodation needs. The DoLS authorisation enables her to receive the 24 hour care that she requires in her care home, under continuous supervision, which has been deemed the least restrictive option and in her best interests.

As before, the paperwork makes for interesting if unedifying reading, confirming the professional view of her limited capabilities and stating clearly that the residential care arrangements are essential and appropriate. It is not something that brings me joy, but at least confirms that my decision to procure residential care for my wife is supported.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes, I have a copy of a letter sent by John's psychiatrist to social work to say that he is not capable of deciding where he should live. Although I entirely agree and it made arranging respite easy it looks harsh in black and white.

John was a skilled tradesman as well as a deep thinker who loved learning foreign languages - not all that common on your average building site! It is all lost. Well nearly all lost. This morning when I was showing him where to park his walker before coming downstairs he said, "Comme ça?"
He used to speak to me on a daily basis with bits and pieces of German and French and I thought that had disappeared but little bits are obviously still there.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We all need that bit of reassurance @northumbrian_k

It makes me wonder why so many suffer guilt when they accept residential care.

Caring for someone with dementia is not a one person job in the later stages and respect to those who manage to keep their people with dementia at home until the end. Those of us who accept the need for residential care make one of the most difficult decisions of our lives and it`s such a relief when it turns out well and agreed by all disciplines.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Yes, I have a copy of a letter sent by John's psychiatrist to social work to say that he is not capable of deciding where he should live. Although I entirely agree and it made arranging respite easy it looks harsh in black and white.

John was a skilled tradesman as well as a deep thinker who loved learning foreign languages - not all that common on your average building site! It is all lost. Well nearly all lost. This morning when I was showing him where to park his walker before coming downstairs he said, "Comme ça?"
He used to speak to me on a daily basis with bits and pieces of German and French and I thought that had disappeared but little bits are obviously still there.[/QUOTE

My Dad did that with bits of Italian he had learn in the war. It was ...Hello ... how are you ? and ....please pass me a 3 and 3 eights inch spanner....

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I had a letter like that about my mum too. It is a bittersweet moment.
It is a validation that you have made the right decision, but heartbreaking to see that they have progressed so much

PS I love the quirky titles to your threads.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I haven’t had anything like that for The Banjoman and as far as I am aware there is one in place for him at the Care home.
He fell and broke his hip on Friday and is currently in hospital waiting for an operation, does the Care home have to apply for another DoL once he returns to them or does it just continue for the year or whenever it is due for review/renewal?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
He fell and broke his hip on Friday and is currently in hospital waiting for an operation, does the Care home have to apply for another DoL once he returns to them or does it just continue for the year or whenever it is due for review/renewal?

Don't think so.
It's a deprivation of liberty in a defined situation.
Why worry it's the care home's problem?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I'm sorry to hear about the Banjoman @Banjomansmate and hope he gets an operation and time to recover soon. My understanding is that a DoLS is usually granted for a fixed period (52 weeks), renewable as necessary, and is specific to one named premises. It doesn't necessarily imply residence at all times - my wife had a DoLS in place to cover short periods of respite, for example - and will remain in place unless and until it is cancelled for a specific reason.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother is in the middle of a DOLs assessment. She told me someone had been to see her to ask about her being in her care home. I was worried that she'd be very convincing about how she can manage at home, and that she'd be allowed to leave. From what she told me, she told them she is in the home as her mum (dead these forty plus years) was having problems keeping the house tidy.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Thank you K, seeing your post just made me think about it.
He was a walking skeleton and deteriorating mentally before this and I doubt if he will be eating much in hospital so I wonder about his recovery after an operation. Although drugged up yesterday and completely unintelligible I think at one point he knew me. I phoned today and they said he wasn’t so restless so that is something.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife told the social worker that she worked at the care home @Sarasa. Evidence taken from the care home staff and assessment by a doctor showed that she did not really understand what was going on and is disorientated in time, place and person. By the time a DoLS is necessary it seems unlikely that a person with dementia can outwit or fool the assessors.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Just took a call from the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding (DoLS) lady. As the DoLS granted for my wife's current accommodation was for an initial period of 12 months it is now time to renew it subject to checking with her Relevant Personal Representative. That's me, and I am happy and satisfied with her current care home. The care that she has received over the last year has made a big change to her quality of life. The DoLS will be renewed for another 12 months, with paperwork to follow.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's good to hear that you are happy with the care your wife is receiving in her current care home @northumbrian_k. That must be of some comfort to you.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Incredibly another year has passed and it is time for review and renewal of the DoLS. I had a pleasant chat with a lady from the council today and confirmed that my wife is doing well and is settled where she has lived for the last 2 years. The DoLS will be renewed for another 12 months with me as Representative, subject to signing and returning the relevant paperwork.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm