Fighting Carers giving personal care

GKT

Jun 21, 2019
Mum is 89, very frail and was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 10 years ago. She is now bed ridden in a care home. The care is excellent however they struggle with personal care as mum goes rigid, grabs onto them and scratches them. They tried giving her pain relief before trying to change her pads in case it was causing her pain but this didn’t help. Any ideas please

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi @GKT and welcome to DTP.

Are the Carers talking to your Mum before they approach her? In my husband’s nursing home they always told him what they were about to do and why. He obviously didn’t always understand what they were saying but I’m convinced he felt more at ease as two people stood over him and started to remove some of his clothing. I know I would fight tooth and nail if I was approached by people trying to remove my clothing without giving me a reason, it’s a natural reaction. I know Carers are busy but time taken to make someone comfortable with what’s going on will save time and hopefully reduce the distress. Of course they may be doing this and it’s not working, Dementia has a way of defeating all efforts.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @GKT and welcome from me too.

As well as what Jaymore has suggested I wonder if giving your mum a soft toy to hold would help? Or even a nice squishy cushion.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
It may also be something associated with bathing or changing. We got a soft sponge for Mummy as she didn't like the feel of the flannel. Could also be feeling the cold....

Dootee

Mar 8, 2016
Mum is 89, very frail and was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 10 years ago. She is now bed ridden in a care home. The care is excellent however they struggle with personal care as mum goes rigid, grabs onto them and scratches them. They tried giving her pain relief before trying to change her pads in case it was causing her pain but this didn’t help. Any ideas please
does she take a calmer ? Lorazepam? Or is she past that medication? My mum is more engaging after one ? X

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hi @GKT and welcome to DTP.

Are the Carers talking to your Mum before they approach her? In my husband’s nursing home they always told him what they were about to do and why. He obviously didn’t always understand what they were saying but I’m convinced he felt more at ease as two people stood over him and started to remove some of his clothing. I know I would fight tooth and nail if I was approached by people trying to remove my clothing without giving me a reason, it’s a natural reaction. I know Carers are busy but time taken to make someone comfortable with what’s going on will save time and hopefully reduce the distress. Of course they may be doing this and it’s not working, Dementia has a way of defeating all efforts.
@jaymor I think that is an important point which I've learned thehard way. I tell John what I'm about to do and then do it talking all the time to distract him.