When to apply loss of mental capacity

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
having never been in our bank and having had no debit card for the last year my husband took it upon himself to go in and withdraw money. He doesn’t have any ID but because he was able to give his name, address and DOB and his signature matched their records they gave him £10 (all that was available). This is our joint account from which I pay the household bills - fortunately I keep the money in a savings account and transfer it over when the direct debits go out. My question is should I at this point be changing the power of attorney on the account to him not having mental capacity? He doesn’t seem to understand that this account is to pay our mortgage and other bills so part of me feels I should but on the other hand I can’t be sure that he doesn’t fully understand. Any thoughts ?

Rosie66

Jun 19, 2019
Hi, you can just speak with your bank. They have policies on these things, without you having to do the whole poa thing. Explain his condition and they can check with you if he goes in again dealing with it with a more relaxed attitude. Hopefully they'll have had dementia friendly training. Hope you get it worked out.

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
Hi, you can just speak with your bank. They have policies on these things, without you having to do the whole poa thing. Explain his condition and they can check with you if he goes in again dealing with it with a more relaxed attitude. Hopefully they'll have had dementia friendly training. Hope you get it worked out.
I already have poa in place just hadn’t activated he mental capacity. It’s all done now and can no longer use the account. We have a plan in place if he does go in and has a melt down in the branch

Rosie66

Jun 19, 2019
Ma May, glad to here it's all under control. It's exasperating trying to stay one step ahead, but when these pointers are in place it's a relief to not have to do mopping up after isn't it. Wishing yu well on your journey.