Dominoes

philologus

Nov 19, 2011
North East
I took a black and white school class photo with my wife in it when she was 11.
I cleaned it up on Photoshop and enlarged it a bit and then had it made into a jigsaw of 500 pieces.
It cost very little to do this and I think it was an offer that Aldi had at the time so was less than a tenner to have the jigsaw made.
My wife - now 74 - loved it and put it together in about three days and remembered many of the other kids on it too.
It has now been framed and is on the wall where she can often see it and smile.
I sometimes take it down and we go through the names of her schoolmates and talk about them and whether she still sees any of them etc.

I'm now considering which old photo to try next.

Dot may

Apr 10, 2016
My husband always had to read his daily paper end to end. I buy him a tabloid now for its larger print, more pictures and simpler language. He can read the words out loud if I ask him but of course he cannot make sense of it all. Because he is still Behaving as he once did this keeps him occupied for hours looking through the pages. I leave a pile of football magazines beside him for variety and take a pile in when he has a respite week (not often).
Marionq.
Where do you get the daily large print from. I tried the local newsagent with no luck. I’d be grateful to know. Thanks Dot- may

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I don’t buy a special one. If I buy John a tabloid it is standard as far as I can see for there to be lots of big print and headlines as well as lots of pictures. In the past we both read the Guardian but I subscribe to it online now. I just checked Johns paper right now which he’s been going through since about 10 am. He gets the Daily Record which is a bog standard Scottish tabloid. Although he can physically read I doubt very much if he retains anything.

Attachments

• 0B81C9E4-105B-4493-B022-856CE85DA43D.jpeg
    0B81C9E4-105B-4493-B022-856CE85DA43D.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 328

Wildsounds

Mar 7, 2018
My husband is 87 now and has had dementia since he was 75. Games would not be of interest to him at all but I encourage him to do things he can manage. He is happy washing the pots and drying them and preparing vegetables for our evening meal. He also manages to fill all the bird feeders every morning and likes watching the various birds visiting the feeders. We have badgers visiting our garden every night and he always has a look to see if they are there before we go to bed and loves to see them. He likes Birdwatching magazine. He does read the articles (but can't remember the actual content) and loves the pictures. He has a great interest in nature and always has had.
He was evacuated to Herefordshire from Liverpool during the war (in May 1940 to be precise) and can remember everything with such clarity from that time of his life. I subscribed to The British Evacuees Association for him last year and he loves the bi-monthly magazine they produce. I also applied for him to be registered as an evacuee with them and he loves the certificate he received acknowledging the fact that he was an evacuee.
At the National Arboretum there is a sculpture dedicated to all evacuees. I bought him the DVD of the Memorial Dedication ceremony and he enjoyed that. He expressed a wish to go to the National Arboretum to see the actual sculpure so we are going to head up there in the next few weeks. We have a motorhome so will go up in that so we have our home from home with us. When I find something that he shows an interest in, I act on it to make it a reality.
A year ago, I took on a job at the local village shop for just two afternoons a week. My husband can cope with that and I involved him in the decision to take on the job. We needed extra money and that comes from the shop now.and he knows that it makes life easier for us both.
I also involve him in selling our surplus items on Ebay. He doesn't do any of the listings but he loves to help pack the items when they are sold and is really interested when I announce we have made a sale. I also involve him in helping me to get the photos taken and to putting the completed items in our container boxes.
Yes, his memory isn't improving but, if a problem arises, I seek out an answer and act upon it so that it isn't such a big deal for him.
We have been married 41 years and are together 24/7 (apart from my two afternoon shifts at the shop).

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I cleaned it up on Photoshop and enlarged it a bit and then had it made into a jigsaw of 500 pieces.
It cost very little to do this and I think it was an offer that Aldi had at the time so was less than a tenner to have the jigsaw made.
My wife - now 74 - loved it and put it together in about three days and remembered many of the other kids on it too.
I sometimes take it down and we go through the names of her schoolmates and talk about them and whether she still sees any of them etc.

I like this idea and think I might try something similar if I can find where I can get it done.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
This is a very interesting thread.
I may try simple origami (me doing it) to show Mummy who loves folding things (material, pleating her trousers etc). She also likes recipe mags - helps me to pick out what we will have for tea. I also wondered about one of those bubble blowers you get for children, with a thing you dip in the pot of bubble mixture.

I think you may find large wooden jigsaw puzzles in charity shops, but check to make sure all the pieces are there....
Mummy also like little tins and boxes with lids you can open easily. I have sewing kit (which she looks at whilst supervised) in one, but it is the opening and closing of the lid that she likes, more than the contents.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Also, one of the best things my sister got for my Mum was a photo of her grandchildren put on a cushion. I think you send files to an online company and they do the rest. Mummy loved it and spent a lot of time hugging the cushion.

Greenwellies

Nov 11, 2017
My OH always said he was lucky, he found something he loved to do (pilot) and found someone to pay him for doing it. The trouble is now he dosen't have any hobbies, he would always spend his time, gardening or diy as it was useful so is he really is not interested in doing any puzzles or pasttime type things. I am always struggling to find things to keep him interested or his hands busy. He will however fold towels and pair socks for me. I think it's because he sees it as something useful not something to while away time.
Oh good idea.

Lyn13

Jan 20, 2019

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a go. I have seen this sort of thing advertised so will be easy to do.

nanni s

Mar 10, 2019
My oh hobbies was boating and motorbiking which he cant do now he also liked to play chess but is unable to now. Working was his other hobby now he has a tray with nuts and bolts old plugs that he takes apart . He has all manner of things on this tray and sits for hours arranging them. When he goes in the garage for more bits he says he is getting everything ready to go to work.

Amarylis

May 20, 2018
The big dominoes sounds good and I will try the nuts and bolts for my OH. He is totally occupied on the iPad playing HiStar! It is an app where he groups different coloured squares, making the biggest number of squares together and so having a high score. There is no time problem and he can think of what to do for ages. he doesn't have to make the grade to go on to a higher level. It is simply grouping different coloured squares before clicking on them, which removes them. If he doesn't reach the target then another page of squares appears immediately and he continues playing.
He has caught 'the bug' and plays all day, even through meal times. It has occupied him for four years and he really is lost without it. I hope that helps with your OH.

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27