What can I expect when i ask ss for assessment

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
hi going call ss for a care assessment going say its quite urgent
What do i expect will a social worker come to the house? can i or will i have time to explain the whole situation ask questions write them dpwn ? discuss options or it going to be a tick boxing quick assessment then quickly go ? can i decline suggestions if there not right sorry just haven't any experience i will expect they wont offer much in terms of funding for help as dads savings £18000 plus got £4000 in currant account not sure of they take this into account he needs at least £100 a week for shopping and bills come to about £200 pm at least biggest concern is the stress that im going through trying to cope with useless carers and looking after dad all day every day not in my own home whilst running to my flat no life at all i just dont see a way out ie dad come and live with me or go into a care home and he's not ill enough i dont think i need the social worker to wave a magic wand and tell me what to do

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It takes a wee while to get a care needs assessment set up, between calling them and a social worker being appointed. In our case it was about 2 months last time. The threshold is £23,500 and that will include your dad's current account and his savings.
I asked for 10 minutes alone with the social worker before he spoke to my partner last time, and wrote down all my concerns and questions before hand. For self funding, or making a contribution, the situation may be more complicated. They should still recommend good local day centres if that is what is needed.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...-decisions-around-residential-or-nursing-care might help you decide on care homes or care at home.

Last edited:

Rencat

Nov 15, 2018
What do i expect will a social worker come to the house? can i or will i have time to explain the whole situation ask questions write them dpwn ? discuss options or it going to be a tick boxing quick assessment then quickly go ? can i decline suggestions if there not right sorry just haven't any experience i will expect they wont offer much in terms of funding for help as dads savings £18000 plus got £4000 in currant account not sure of they take this into account he needs at least £100 a week for shopping and bills come to about £200 pm at least biggest concern is the stress that im going through trying to cope with useless carers and looking after dad all day every day not in my own home whilst running to my flat no life at all i just dont see a way out ie dad come and live with me or go into a care home and he's not ill enough i dont think i need the social worker to wave a magic wand and tell me what to do
Hi, your dad will get funding as his savings

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Ok thanks how long will assessment appointment take as ive got a complicated situation i need to be able to tell the ss and if its going take months he needs will have probably changed by then

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
By the time it is approved and then put out to tender it has usually taken two to three months for any care package arranged and funded by local Council to be put in place. If you are self funding then maybe once the needs are assessed by Social Services you can find a Care firm to take on the task but even that can be difficult if they are experiencing staff shortages.
A good Social worker is a diamond but they still have to work within the system and that isn’t always easy!

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
What about direct payment ? Im usung the local top so called best care agency and finding them not great either carers leaving early not doing nothing too young and not talking not being informed when there’s different carers turning up the list is endless and ive tried to other agrncys just as bed or worse
Questions about dads living arrangements
My living arrangement
The complicated scenario that it is will the social worker be trained ? to answer these questions ie adult social care /dementia trained

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I think the problem isn’t “Are Social workers trained?” as more “How experienced are they?”
They also have to work to the guidelines and limitations that their employer, the Councils put on them. You only have to read about the differing experiences of the members of this board to realise Social care is variable throughout the UK.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Our local authority's Adult Social Care organisation no longer allocates a dedicated social worker. Each time you need anything, you have to contact the "Hub" and they allocate a SW to deal - this can range from assistant SW, so you effectively have to start afresh, explaining background, situation etc, although I would assume that they all have access to previous notes and history?

I have to say that the few times someone has come to the house, they have all given enough time to listen and offer advice, although as my wife is self-funding (for now, at least), it has mainly consisted of signposting where we can seek help.

The last lady that came was particularly knowledgeable and empathetic but sadly, she was due to leave and go back to working with the NHS.:(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhubarb1989