Audiology tests and hearing aid provision when dementia causes strong resistance

Chunky

Mar 18, 2016
My OH has hearing aids for both ears unfortunately one is lost and the other comes apart. She is not cooperative for ear syringing or suction and needs new molds for both ears so that new aids can be provided .The audiology department seem unable to come up with a solution. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and been able to get help when facing resistance to these procedures?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Chunky
is there no way to access the moulds taken previously ... or use generic aids
would your husband let you take a mould for one ear at least
sorry, I clearly don't have personal experience

I know with my dad's eyesight it became more the case that he couldn't 'see' because his brain wasn't processing properly, rather than because he was short sighted ... so I'm wondering how much of a difference the hearing aids would make

Chunky

Mar 18, 2016
hi @Chunky
is there no way to access the moulds taken previously ... or use generic aids
would your husband let you take a mould for one ear at least
sorry, I clearly don't have personal experience

I know with my dad's eyesight it became more the case that he couldn't 'see' because his brain wasn't processing properly, rather than because he was short sighted ... so I'm wondering how much of a difference the hearing aids would make
Thanks for replying. I enquired about molds which were taken 2.5 years ago when she was able to be more cooperative but was told that they throw them away! Have just found previous ear peices and will ask if they can use these in conjunction with the test results achieved previously. I am sure that having the aids really improves her quality of life even with her apparrent limited understanding. It is an area which needs research, I cannot think that OH situation is a one off.

Trekker

Jun 18, 2019
London
My OH has hearing aids for both ears unfortunately one is lost and the other comes apart. She is not cooperative for ear syringing or suction and needs new molds for both ears so that new aids can be provided .The audiology department seem unable to come up with a solution. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and been able to get help when facing resistance to these procedures?
I managed to get my dad’s hearing aids fitted after 4 visits, one change of NHS contract, one lost set of molds, only for him to refuse to let carer put aids in. He has moderate dementia, my mother worse, and she spends much of the time telling him off. I think he may prefer not to hear.

Olliebeak

Sep 13, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Could she have the sort of digital aid that has the little plastic tubes with tiny buds in the ear? No moulds needed. I know someone who has them on the NHS.