New and need advice

Cowboys

Jun 11, 2019
Hi, Thanks in advance for your advice.

My dad has mixed dementia. My mum is his caregiver. I live in the US, and have been coming home about 3-4 times a year. My parents have a limited support system. I would say that my dad is probably about stage 5 on the Alzheimer's scale. My questions are what do I need to do to start an action plan of help for my mum? My dad was released from the memory clinic into my mum's care. Do I need to contact the memory clinic or adult social services? I've been living in the US for 30 years, so I just don't know where to start. Thank you again for your help.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Cowboys. Welcome to DTP.

I'm assuming from your post that your parents are living in the UK? If so and you're looking for support for them you (or your mum) need to contact Adult Social Care at their local authority and ask for a care assessment for your dad and a carer's assessment for your mum. At stage 5 they should be entitled to a care visit several times a day.

I believe there are other members on DTP who have arranged care for their parents from abroad so hopefully someone who has had experience of this will be able to advise you better than I can.

Pacucho

Hello,
I see you have received good advice.
What you can also do is encourage your mum to seek support in terms of ensuring that your parents are receiving everything they are entitled to in terms of benefits, exemptions, etc. The best place to start is to find out your mum's local Carers Centre, which you can do at the following link: https://carers.org/section/help-advice.
The Carers Centre can also usually help you contact local Adult Social Servies as well.
Hope this helps,
Paco