Meeting Requested by Living Well with Dementia Team

DeBlonde

Jan 23, 2019
Hi there
Mums mental health team have set up a meeting in a fortnight to talk about the second opinion they have had
on the scan Mum had in January when she was sectioned in January. Her diagnosis at the time was anxiety and depression and probable Alzheimers. On a recent visit her CPN told her he didnt think she had dementia, only anxiety and depression. I was annoyed, because we choose not to divulge that info to mum).

Does anyone have experience of this? What could the possible outcome be, I wonder.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
On a recent visit her CPN told her he didnt think she had dementia, only anxiety and depression. I was annoyed, because we choose not to divulge that info to mum).

That`s a pity @DeBlonde

When my husband volunteered to be admitted to an assessment unit after a psychotic incident, I was shocked when we were preparing for his discharge by the SW making matters worse by asking my husband to tell a roomful of people [ professionals] the reason he had been admitted.

This nearly caused another episode and I made a formal complaint to Social Services.

I understand the reason for confidentiality but I do feel family members should be allowed to help protect the feelings of their people with dementia in ways they see fit.

DeBlonde

Jan 23, 2019
Thanks for your reply @Grannie G, How awful that they requested your husband did this! That's shocking! I wonder what the Living Well with Dementia team are planning if they find that Mum doesnt have dementia. In my view its very difficult to unpick the anxiety/depression and the dementia. I also wonder if it's possible for us to get a further opinion?

:)

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Yes @DeBlonde, the reason given by @canary was the reason for my question about the scan.

My wife had both a CT and an MRI scan, with neither spotting more than small vessel damage that failed to explain the symptoms I was documenting. It was a PET scan that revealed more significant vessel damage and brain shrinkage in 2 areas which resulted in my wife's dementia confirmation when looked at in conjunction with test results and my documented symptomology.

It can pay to keep pressing with notes of behavioural issues.

Anxiety and depression are common bedfellows of dementia(my wife is medicated for both of these conditions as well as her dementia) so it may be important to ensure that the medics look beyond these conditions.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It's a bit chicken and egg. Is her anxiety and depression causing symptoms of dementia or is her dementia causing her to be depressed and anxious?

What do you think? What was your mum like in the time running up to when she was sectioned? Do you have other evidence of dementia-like behaviour? Make notes of all the things you've noticed so you can refer to it when you attend the meeting.

DeBlonde

Jan 23, 2019
Thank you everybody.
The results of the scan showed mild small vessel disease and global atrophy. Thank you @canary I'll certainly request that Mum is refered to a memory clinic, then hopefully they'll do a PET scan so that we have a better idea of whats going on. :) @karaokePete I'll carry on keeping a record of her symptoms so that I can refer to them at the meeting :) @Jaded'n'faded It's difficult to know which came first isnt it? but I'm pretty sure its the former :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR