Help with mobility please

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My mum was given a zimmer when she left hospital. All she did was to carry it around with her because she couldn't understand how to use it. I took off her in the end as she was safer with 2 free hands to steady herself if need be, tho' she never was unsteady on her feet.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Well I received a call today from the physio people and they asked various questions over the phone. They then proceeded to tell me that someone will visit my husband at home and give him some exercises to do. I can't see how that will help.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Well I received a call today from the physio people and they asked various questions over the phone. They then proceeded to tell me that someone will visit my husband at home and give him some exercises to do. I can't see how that will help.

Neither do I. My dad had someone to show him exercises but he'd refuse to do them until his next session so no use ..but maybe you can get yourself a cuppa while he's entertained.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
I have now set the ball rolling, I've just sent an email to social services. I find that less stressful than sitting on the phone for hours on end.
Yes, don't be put off. My mum learned new things via repetition even when her dementia was advanced. We always used exactly the same words for things and exactly the same routines. Using this method I taught her entire manoeuvres which she could then manage without prompting on a good day.

Carers used to think I was a crazy pedant until they saw it with their own eyes. Then they became evangelists :D

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
O
Oh I replied to your previous post before I saw this. You could try doing exercises with him but I would've thought an occupational therapist for lived reality might be better. I guess maybe you can't choose? Or try lobbying for an OP? If you can a good care equipment shop maybe they can help?

I refused to accept that mobility loss was inevitable so I banned wheel chairs and through an amazing occupational therapist learned to see every day actions as opportunities for strengthening muscles and maintaining balance. Mum was mobile with a Zimmer + supervision right up to when she died. She was still walking our long garden path with steps and going out.