Dementia Sweet Tooth?

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Oh yes, it's definitely ' a thing' which many dementia sufferers have.

Whether it is the body's natural reaction to weight loss, whether it's because they become 'super-active' or whether it's just because their perception of taste changes who knows?

No idea how to persuade her you haven't pinched her food, but then that is essentially 'classic behaviour' too. To be basically 'angry with life and people' and moaning is all part of the territory.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes I agree, developing a sweet tooth is definitely a dementia thing. Mum would play with her dinner, pushing it around her plate and saying that she didnt want it, wasnt hungry etc, then would polish off her pudding and ask if there was any more! She would always ask me to bring toffees and chocolate for her.

The lack of insight, denying it was them that did something and saying it must be someone else is also typical of dementia.

DeniseH66

Aug 27, 2017
Greater London
Well I never, its the same with my Mum dinner can get pushed around the plate, saying she is not hungry, but toffees, chocolate and puddings there is always room for.
She says it's comfort eating.
At nearly 8 stone I don't stop her enjoying, if I touched just one the pounds would instantly pile on. Back on my diet today
Whishing you all a good day.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
You could have written that for me...
Yesterday mum won a box of Cadbury's chocolate fingers (other brands are available!) in a raffle at her club. In the course of the four hours between arriving home and dinner being served she had polished off the lot, plus a bag of liquorice allsorts. I read somewhere once that the brain can exist on glucose alone.
Healthy, though tasty, meals are pushed around the plate but a huge bowl of crumble will go down no problems. TBH I have given up the main meal healthy options and tend to buy the ready meals you can microwave; it's easier, in the expectation that it will be binned but it keeps her sitting at the table and at least listening to the interaction.
Of course, she took on board a huge amount of chocolate yesterday afternoon and chocolate has a 'detrimental' affect on her bowels and then she ate liquorice! Just going to get her up and clear up and present her to day care at the care home with a warning and a pad.

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
I didn't know it was a thing, but mum is exactly the same. She will put 4 spoons of sugar in coffee now but never used to. She ate a whole jar of apple sauce dad bought for his dinner. She eats whole packets of biscuits if they are around.
Is there a link then between dementia and developing diabetes?

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
I think taste must be one of the first senses to go with dementia. My mum refused to eat the 'bland' food she enjoyed previously, but would eat fruit pies, cakes, chocolate and humbugs by the packets! She would only eat curries and pasta meals which she used to hate.
Now she just eats what she is given with no reaction, mostly frozen mini meals and hot puds which the carer prepares.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I don't know how practical it is in your household mzoo. I only do limited shopping twice a week, and try to have a few tomatoes around the kitchen so that C can have a wee snack before bed without it affecting her diabetes. I did think about a fridge lock, but was persuaded it may add to stress.

Good luck.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Before getting dementia, my wife was always careful about eating a well balanced "healthy" diet. She maintained a healthy 9 stone and had a thing about not eating crisps, using salt etc.

Since the dementia has taken hold, she has gradually stopped preparing or cooking food (and just about everything else:() and will eat just about anything I put in front of her.

Recently, I've had to hide items that would normally be easy for her to lay her hands on. So, for instance, she will munch her way through any bananas, satsumas etc in the fruit bowl, even just after having a hearty meal!

She has put on about a stone during the last couple of years but still takes a size 14, (stretchy fabric) or 16, trouser.

Her lack of self awareness means I have to watch that she doesn't nick anyone else's food off their plate, if with eating with others. Luckily, they can see the funny side of it.:D

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Yes, another sweet toothed PWD in our house. My OH would eat every sweet thing in the house so I buy limited stocks for treats only as she seems to be eating every time I look at her. She has also started eating a lot more noisily - what's that about?:rolleyes:

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Yes, another sweet toothed PWD in our house. My OH would eat every sweet thing in the house so I buy limited stocks for treats only as she seems to be eating every time I look at her. She has also started eating a lot more noisily - what's that about?:rolleyes:

It's the lip smacking and sucking noises that get to me. I can block it out but I feel for people who visit and have to watch and listen. Last night she used her fingers to eat spinach and baby lettuce leaves, rolled into tubes, dunked in mayonnaise and sucked. Silent agreement between me and OH that forthwith the microwave meal options of fishy pap, meat(ish)y pap and pasta pap, which can be eaten with a spoon, are the only option. I hope she can't eat those with her fingers or it will be the pelican bib option next.
Not her fault and I don't mean to be cruel but...:rolleyes:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Large bags of lemon sherbets are bought each week, mum loves them and at least they keep her from asking for more cake and biscuits all day long, we are in our third year of sweet cravings.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Oh yes, it's definitely ' a thing' which many dementia sufferers have.

Whether it is the body's natural reaction to weight loss, whether it's because they become 'super-active' or whether it's just because their perception of taste changes who knows?

No idea how to persuade her you haven't pinched her food, but then that is essentially 'classic behaviour' too. To be basically 'angry with life and people' and moaning is all part of the territory.

Well it is with my OH as she says she has permanent dry mouth. Pops Tic Tacs non stop and all kinds of sweets she buys by the basket full in local supermarkets. She has ballooned fro size 14 to 20 in two years but doctor just nods and smiles if questioned about her weight gain and says it is not a priority.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Thank you so much for all your responses!

I'm so sorry to hear you guys are going through this, too, but comforted (if that's the right word) to know we're not alone.

My MIL has an additional problem with all the extra consumption of sweets, in that she is also being treated for congestive heart failure. She was recently diagnosed after a short stay in hospital for retention of water in her legs.

My husband and I take her to the cardio clinic every two weeks, where they check in to talk with her, take her blood pressure, do some blood work, etc... so that they can tweak her medication (mainly diuretics).

Part of this ongoing follow-up treatment is that they weigh her, and have her self-weigh at home and report the numbers (almost impossible to ensure, but I digress... one issue at a time...lol). Anyway, the plan is that if her weight goes up more than a certain amount in a given week, then they increase the diuretics.

Sadly, what usually happens is something I've read here that you guys refer to as "show-timing". Again, I realize that's probably a second topic, so I'm sorry to confuse the issue.

She says she's absolutely fine, that she eats a proper diet, her weight hasn't changed at all, her scale must be broken, etc... Honestly, she is so alert, happy, chatty and charming during these visits that she seems almost entirely like her "old" self. I can't bring myself to correct her in front of the doctor/nurse, and say "actually no... that isn't true... you are constantly eating ice cream cones, chocolates and candies". I mean, I want to preserve her dignity, and don't want to 'rat her out' like a misbehaving schoolkid.

I'm not sure if the doctors are twigging to this behaviour, or if they're linking weight gain to water retention, and therefore increasing her meds. Which make her miserable. And the cycle continues. I'm honestly not sure how to approach this.

Thanks so much again for reading, and for any advice.

xo

It's horrible talking about someone in front of them, especially if you have to contradict them.
If there is anything important that I think the doctor should know, I write it down and hand it over at the start of the appointment. Worth a try?

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Yes, I've been there with the sweets and the inability to accurately self-report. You have my sympathy!

I've not heard the term "showtiming," but it's a descriptive one, and I like it! It's also called "hostess mode" and it's amazing how functional the PWD (person with dementia) can seem, at least for a short time. It does make those medical appointments interesting and challenging.

I really do feel for you, especially as you're trying to manage her heart condition and so diet and weight matter.

You might write a note, and send it in advance of the appointment, and also take copies to the appointment, and hand it discreetly to anyone who will have contact with your MIL. It could say something like, "my MIL has dementia and can't accurately answer questions. Please speak to me privately out of her sight and hearing. Thank you." And then include whatever the relevant info is about her weight and diet and health and so forth. This is an approach that has worked well for me.

The other thing I do is at the appointment, I stand or sit behind my mother, or sit right next to her but with my chair slightly pushed back, so my facial expressions are out of her line of sight. This way I can shake my head or mouth, "no" to contradict something my mother says. I find staff, once they are clued in, are usually quick to pick things up and the lack of being challenged, and reduced number of questions, makes it easier for my mother to get through the appointment. (She is still able to do hostess mode, but it takes a lot of her energy and she gets stressed by the appointments. Keeping it as short as possible is best for her.)

My mother does not like to be talked about in front of, or contradicted about anything, ever! (That was true to some extent even before dementia, and of course has only gotten worse with dementia.) Hence the notes and private conversations.

I hope you can find a way to make sure the medical professionals have the information they need to care for your MIL, without upsetting conversations in front of her.

She's lucky to have such a kind and caring daughter-in-law!

Best wishes.

Shellc

Jun 16, 2019
Hi my dad just turned 65 in April he was diagnosed 2 year ago with Alzheimer’s and dementia he’s in care as he really struggles and has been violent.. he has a mad craving for sugar all he would eat was cookies.. we gave him chocolates 2 days ago as he’s lost a stone in three months he ate it in seconds and wanted more.. my dad never ate chocolate before so it’s definitely the dementia

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
My dad had 4 twirls last weekend, this weekend he has moved onto mars bars and cookies. He is only recently diagnosed and still right now capable of having his own money, he still goes to the shop each day to buy his paper. We have no idea what treats he gets for the walk back. I found a double decker bar in his pocket the other day. He has also got terrible at sharing his sweet things. But any time someone comes round he offers up pieces of fruit like they are going out of fashion so he don’t eat them himself. He does still like a banana thankfully. He has stopped eating meat sandwiches which he used to love. Last week he had jam on toast 3 days in a row. Sweet tooth is definitely a thing

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi my dad just turned 65 in April he was diagnosed 2 year ago with Alzheimer’s and dementia he’s in care as he really struggles and has been violent.. he has a mad craving for sugar all he would eat was cookies.. we gave him chocolates 2 days ago as he’s lost a stone in three months he ate it in seconds and wanted more.. my dad never ate chocolate before so it’s definitely the dementia
Hello @Shellc and welcome to DTP
My husband also developed a very sweet tooth for which I became grateful for as he stopped eating healthily
Now you have found us I hope you will continue to post to get support

Lladro

May 1, 2019
My wife and I have never taken sugar in our tea - Now I put two spoons of sugar in her tea and she still goes and puts some more in! Also started eating chocolate biscuits like they are going out of fashion. From losing a stone and a half six months ago, she has put a stone back on and eats larger potions of food than I do! It has to be the dementia...

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband has a bowl of porridge with a pile of chopped fruit or berries on it. If I don't watch out he has a satsuma peeled in one hand and a couple of apples stuffed in his pockets while still eating the porridge. He is a slim chap so it's not greed but a loss of social control I think due to the dementia.
Emptying his pockets at night is always interesting as he squirrels away anything he can get his hands on including left over food wrapped in tissues.

Soniamary

Apr 26, 2018

My sister who was diagnosed 2 yrs ago at 63, has developed a very sweet tooth...she will eat ice cream like it's going out of fashion, gorges slices of cake when we go out...and yet she had always had a very restricted diet of fish, salads etc. Our mother who also had Alzheimer's developed a ridiculously sweet tooth during her last couple of years...she'd eat Werthers, biscuits, puddings but as many previous members have said, push a healthy meal round and round the plate. At present, my sister will eat most of what is put in front of her and we buy ready meals for her to have at home. Most distressing just now is that she has started to hallucinate...talking to herself in the mirror and has become paranoid about certain things...thinking that I have hidden things from her or if she can't find something assumes that I have or know where it is. Caring in these circumstances are so difficult and I sometimes just don't know how to handle things even though I cared for our mother for 9 years!