Respite insurance???

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am in process of booking two weeks respite at short notice. Do any of you insure for the cost, I am having a car take us, I am staying on the estate too so it is costly.
I would phone say AGEUK but the insurance is a business not a charity. Suddenly woke up to hear my husband coughing. Getting the colly wobbles about the whole thing, perhaps. I do not pay until arrival. Thanks

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The respite I have booked for my husband next month is £1103 for a week but if he became ill and couldn’t go I don’t think I would be charged. The issue has never been discussed so I’m not sure. Is that the kind of scenario you are envisaging?

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes it is, I am getting cold feet I think as I have so much to think about! I woke with the idea of insurance!
The place chosen only does two weeks at a time. My husband is going into the house, I was offered a self catering studio in the grounds but this has now been taken permanently. I have been offered a room in a quiet corner of the house plus all facilities. This costs more of course.
My husband likes the idea of us both having a 'holiday' together although he realises he would have his own room.
I am taking it from savings and plan to pay myself back if I can. I would have opportunity to go off on my own while there, normally I cannot leave him as he could choke.
Perhaps I will have to take a chance, it is an unusual situation.
I have been told I need respite and there has been talk of a direct payment being processed but nothing has come of that so far.
I am not inclined to wait, I do not think we can. We have not been away for several years. Last night he started to climb to look on top of the wardrobe he was so unsteady. I caught him and held on until he was safely down! Then unlikely drawers were beening opened a shut continuously as he was 'looking for something'.
I said we will look today and I got him to settle.
All this adds to my anxiety level!
Thanks for a quick response.
X

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Why not phone and ask what would happen if....... I think respite beds are in such demand that someone else would take up the cancellation. The care home John is going into said they would invoice me at the end of his stay. On previous stays I have stopped on the way out at the Finance desk and paid by card.

Try not to worry. They will have encountered this before.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please try to have this respite whatever the pitfalls Alice. You need it so much.

Just for you to have two weeks, free from responsibility the essentials supplied and some time for yourself will be worth its weight in gold.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes, thank you, Sylvia, you are right, I think my husband's anxieties are catching. After all it is only money in such an uncertain future!

It seems a lovely place to be, everyone has been caring and very welcoming. When we left a classical guitarist was playing, the gardens are lovely and I can meet some people with similar interests. On Sunday there is a silent Quaker meeting I can attend.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I will have to keep a diary of life in a carehome when the visitors go home! Thank you for your support xxx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Wouldn't normal holiday cancellation insurance do? You can get that from lots of place, I don't see that the purpose of the holiday matters, you are in effect taking a holiday just like anyone else just in a special place that caters for his needs.
K

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you Kevini, I suppose I could but between us health issues are complex. It would be easier if I were not to go too.
I only have a week, I could just try but my time is becoming more limited. I am on a radio therapy programme too. So I may have to search around.

I think I panicked on waking up, as you know dealing with someone else's anxiety is not easy, even if he wants to go. He wanted to gets cases out as soon as back from assessment visit. It is about fifty miles away so not like going abroad.

I think I am going to risk it, I wanted to know what others did if anything.
Both of us have an age against. Thanks for your support.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I don't think you are going abroad in which case you really only need cancellation cover and has been said this could be minimal as the accommodation can easily be resold.

You don't need medical cover which for foreign travel with preexisting medical conditions can be very high or trigger either a stupidly high quote or a 'no quote'. Even in Europe with EHIC (which does not cover all costs and the facility to recover on return has been withdrawn) the cost of repatriation seriously ill or worse has to be covered.
The NHS will provide, even if returning home requires an ambulance it will provide this on discharge from hospital if necessary.
Unlike travel insurance you won't be financed if you have to stay in the area.

All this is a bit factual.
I don't know the medical conditions but if you think it's feasible and want to do it my opinion would be to go for it.
Life is full of risks, you have to make judgemental decisions all the time - can I cross the road before that lorry gets here? - else life stops.

Looking forward to the report that it was a success.

Last edited:

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I tend to agree Nitram. Life is full of risk, we have 3 brief meetings and a day together when we planned to marry. We have thrown up security a few times to follow a different path. At 45/50 we were sleeping on the floor doing one job together, We have survived sixty three years together. So yes, life is a risk.

Thank you everyone for being here. Suddenly I felt overloaded but you have all lifted the load. Xxx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Many people do not realise that risk is neutral.
For every risk that something may happen there is an associated risk that it may not.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I tend to agree Nitram. Life is full of risk, we have 3 brief meetings and a day together when we planned to marry. We have thrown up security a few times to follow a different path. At 45/50 we were sleeping on the floor doing one job together, We have survived sixty three years together. So yes, life is a risk.

Thank you everyone for being here. Suddenly I felt overloaded but you have all lifted the load. Xxx
That’s good Alice. We all want you to have a good experience and then tell us about it. Best wishes