Can I ... Should I?

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I was thinking the same thing.

I broke my specs on Monday morning, so I am wearing an old pair. However, the prescription isn't correct now, so I am struggling with reading etc. So I'm not spending much time on the comp at the moment. New pair ordered (that's £370 I wasn't expecting to spend!) but will take another week or so to arrive :(

Isn't it funny how expensive glasses can be ? My Mum lost hers in the CH. They use an online company. An optician came to the home to take the prescription . Another lady came with some frames and did a little fashion show to see which suited her best and the optician came back to ensure they fitted properly. And the cost was £60. That includes insurance which is lucky as 3 weeks later they are missing again! (I could cry. I'm really hoping the new hearing aids dont go missing )
Susan

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Mum's hearing aids went missing so many times that I stopped replacing them! Fortunately, her hearing wasn't terribly bad and she spent all her time in her room, so there was little background noise to contend with.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Mum's hearing aids went missing so many times that I stopped replacing them! Fortunately, her hearing wasn't terribly bad and she spent all her time in her room, so there was little background noise to contend with.
Unfortunately Mum becomes isolated when she can't hear properly. The CH are doing their best. They lock them away at night and reissue them in the morning. It just takes so long to replace them....4 weeks for new moulds!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Been juggling! so catching up, sorry to hear you are both down @Sam Luvit and @2jays

I don't watch dementia programmes, and find the concentration on the early stages and getting them in involved in activities difficult, when what my mum needed in early stages was a simple routine which removed stress and confusion and decision making, so activities she once loved became too complex and just created stress.

Good luck in job hunting @Sam Luvit and @Bunpoots - very brave to consider care jobs.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
It's good to see you Jm. I don't watch dementia programs at all, nor do I join my Wednesday choir in singing at care homes (although that is partly because they are usually on Thursdays* when I am busy). I take my hat off to people who can use their experience to work as carers for people with dementia.

* The choir has 2 groups that meet on Wednesday and Thursday mornings and join together to perform.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I do find these programmes difficult, there are similarities that are hard to watch, but I really hope they might help educate at least some people @jugglingmum

I’m not sure if I think it’s brave to look at care work, I just think it’s familiar & maybe I can help someone like some of the carers helped mum ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R