Exploitation of the elderly and the family

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
My dad died in March this year unexpectedly. I had been very careful with his money ever since I became responsible for it, not with the thoughts of protecting my inheritance but because I was worried about it not lasting long enough to pay for his care in the care home. I even sold his home just to ensure I knew how much he had and I could plan accordingly.

Fortunately though he was awarded CHC funding but even then I worried that it could so easily be taken away.

I never expected to get any inheritance, especially money, but my dad always thought I would be left his home. This in his eyes was my inheritance and if anything that is what I feel saddest about. My mum and dad had lived in that house all their married life and I had grown up in it, it was home.

Worrying about paying for care had forced me to sell dad’s home and I could never bring myself to tell dad I had done so. I now have all the money my dad left me and if I’m honest I still haven’t touched it, I don’t really need it, but I wish I still had his home that is what meant most to me.

This is the saddest part for me, that the value of peoples homes are considered when being assessed for funding, this I feel should be disregarded, especially when family members have sometimes given up their own homes and life to move in with a parent to take care of them, but then when the care gets too much and their loved one has to be moved into a Care home, they could potentially become homeless. This doesn’t seem right.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Something I find particularly sad @Elle3 is being forced to sell the family home and even more so when a grown up child has never moved out but then is made homeless by their parents illness - often in their 50s and with health problems of their own.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Something I find particularly sad @Elle3 is being forced to sell the family home and even more so when a grown up child has never moved out but then is made homeless by their parents illness - often in their 50s and with health problems of their own.

Absolutely. I have read of people moving into the family home (having given up their own accommodation) to look after a parent, then that person has eventually moved to a CH so the home has to be sold and the caring son/daughter is made homeless.

Talk about a slap in the face for carers :mad: