When is a needs assessment not a needs assessment

Reluctantcarer

Apr 14, 2019
my 90 year old mother lives with me. In the last month or so she has declined significantly. Lost ability to walk more than a few steps; loss of appetite, feeling cold & sleeping all the time, series of small falls using the commode etc. She has seen 2 doctors & there is no under lying health issue- her GP puts it down to ‘wear & tear’
So I asked social services for a needs assessment. In 2 days we had a home visit. The social worker (?) asked lots of questions of both mum & me & noted my concerns I don’t know if it was an official needs assessment. She recommended a hospital bed & it arrived Monday (see my snakes & ladder post). It is definitely easier for mum to get out of bed to use the commode so that’s good
Regarding my worries about mum not being able to wash I am awaiting a visit from the urgent response team.
So I called today to ask social worker what happens now & whether her visit counted as a needs assessment. She said the urgent response team need to do their assessment & was evasive as to whether it was a needs assessment. My concerns about mums swollen legs should be taken up with the district nurse (asked doctor & her said it’s a result of mum being in bed for so long & to raise the foot of the bed) In the social worker’s opinion mum is fine with me & doesn’t need to be in a home yet. But we didn’t discuss this with her.
Mum is talking about moving to a home as she sees me struggle. I think a home might provide a better level of care for her. While her short term memory is poor she is lucid & memory doctor deems her to have capacity.
Apologies for such a long post. My question is once we’ve seen the urgent response team & looked at a care package do we get a formal written needs assessment?

Champers

Jan 3, 2019
We’ve got exactly the same issue with my MIL - also 90. Lived independently with a part time carer until end of April. Then, because of an undiagnosed perforated diverticulum, she ended up in hospital for 3 weeks. Medics wouldn’t release her until there was a 24 carer in place. Now back in her own home, but it’s just not working. She’s been in agony from spinal stenosis, doesn’t sleep at night so consequently keeping her carer awake - who is now exhausted. Won’t let the poor girl out of her sight so she’s struggling to get her breaks! Also, like your mother, ReluctantCarer, her legs are swollen and the slightest knock results in bleeding and ulceration. Virtually no mobility. Short term memory has deteriorated massively. I don’t think it’s dementia, but no one can confirm. Doctor says what should we expect at 90 years old! She’s on very heavy medication, keeps saying she just wants to die. A succession of OTs, social workers, physios seem to have assessed her - but no feedback or conclusions.

We feel strongly that she needs nursing care, not social care as her needs are complex so are attempting the CHC route. We also believe that her quality of life isn’t good being in her own home. She just sits there with the TV as background noise. Doesn’t read and isn’t interested in making conversation with her carer, who really tries. We’ve looked at a residential home where I think there will be more stimulation and interaction plus everything will be geared up to her needs and trips out. But, she is ADAMANT that she wants to stay in her home.

Reluctantcarer

Apr 14, 2019
We’ve got exactly the same issue with my MIL - also 90. Lived independently with a part time carer until end of April. Then, because of an undiagnosed perforated diverticulum, she ended up in hospital for 3 weeks. Medics wouldn’t release her until there was a 24 carer in place. Now back in her own home, but it’s just not working. She’s been in agony from spinal stenosis, doesn’t sleep at night so consequently keeping her carer awake - who is now exhausted. Won’t let the poor girl out of her sight so she’s struggling to get her breaks! Also, like your mother, ReluctantCarer, her legs are swollen and the slightest knock results in bleeding and ulceration. Virtually no mobility. Short term memory has deteriorated massively. I don’t think it’s dementia, but no one can confirm. Doctor says what should we expect at 90 years old! She’s on very heavy medication, keeps saying she just wants to die. A succession of OTs, social workers, physios seem to have assessed her - but no feedback or conclusions.

We feel strongly that she needs nursing care, not social care as her needs are complex so are attempting the CHC route. We also believe that her quality of life isn’t good being in her own home. She just sits there with the TV as background noise. Doesn’t read and isn’t interested in making conversation with her carer, who really tries. We’ve looked at a residential home where I think there will be more stimulation and interaction plus everything will be geared up to her needs and trips out. But, she is ADAMANT that she wants to stay in her home.
Oh dear. I feel for you Champers. I know realistically that the condition of our pwd is not going to improve but we want to give them the best quality of life while they are with us.
My issue is understanding exactly who is making decisions & on what basis. Like you most of mums issues are more medical than to do with her dementia. I am blessed that I don’t have to deal with some of the deeply distressing problems that many here face.
I so wish there was one central contact for my mother’s medical & social needs. Someone who would look at her as a person & not a series of separate conditions.
To see our loved ones withdraw from life is so hard. I know mum knows death is in the wings. She is scared. I want to shout ‘do not go gently ‘ but actually a gentle release would be best for us both
Sometimes the fight to stay in familiar surroundings is really a fight to deny the situation.
I hope you find some way of resolving the situation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson