Residents Pushing Residents In Wheelchairs In The Care Home

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

I didn't know where to put this thread but I wondered if any of you had any experience of the following. I went to see dad in the care home and we went into the conservatory. At one point I went to look for dad's hearing aids and batteries in his room but I had to get past resident G in her wheelchair.

I was able to get past her but when I made my way back to the conservatory resident G was shouting at the top of her voice. The carers, who can't be everywhere, raced to stop dad from wheeling resident G round. Please don't critisize the carers they had to deal my genteel dad being physically aggressive towards them the previous night and possibly some of dad's friends as well.

The thing is I wonder if dad thought he was trying to be helpful because he used to push my nana in a wheelchair and he probably couldn't get past resident G (who is a powerful character in her own right).

MaNaAk

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Yes probably...something retained in his memory from pushing nana around. Getting to know other residents when dad was in his NH and seeing some characteristics from a previous working life or interest coming out was quite common and once I knew a little background it was easy to put 2 and 2 together to explain why they did certain things. I and the staff definitely saw this in some of the things dad did...linked to his job.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I explained about my nana to the carer before putting my arm around dad and telling him I know you want to help. Resident G was of course not pleased with being pushed when she didn't want to be pushed and dad is quite happy resident M to walk around with his walking stick. I will be following your advice the next time I try to retrieve his walking stick!

MaNaAk

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, I used to see residents of mums home behaving in ways that would be explained by knowing their background. The was one lady who would obsessively clean all the chairs and harangue the residents if they didnt drink their glasses of water. She told me "you must make sure she drinks all of it!" I discovered later that she had been a nursing Sister

There was one lady who regularly took mums walking stick. I used to say to her "Oh look, well done! Youve found mums stick. Ive been looking for that" and pluck it out of her hands.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
A few of the residents in my mother's CH need a wheelchair, but I can't remember ever seeing anyone in a wheelchair except when they were being moved from room to room by a carer. Once they have reached their destination they are moved to a static chair - possibly to avoid other residents getting ideas about moving them (?)

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
My dad decided one day in the care home, that there was all these strange people and furniture in 'his' lounge and he needed to get them out. He started by moving all the empty chairs out of the lounge and then If he couldn't get the residents out of their chairs, he tried pushing them out. I arrived to visit dad just as they were being evicted and it was chaos. The staff were actually quite accommodating of my dad as they could see he was clearly upset and luckily they managed to deal with him and the other residents (luckily there was only a couple of the more mobile residents there). Then they allowed dad to plan how he was going to change everything in the room until 5 minutes later he'd calmed down and totally forget what he'd been doing.