Local Authority Form concerning Third Party Top Ups

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Just wanted to ask others that have had to complete one of these forms.

Mum's funds have reached the £23,500 limit and the local authority has agreed to fund. I have been sent a financial questionnaire about my finances to confirm I am in a position to top up for 5 years. I note on the form that it is to be signed by myself, the local authority, provider and client. I have POA for my Mum so will this be necessary? Mum has assumed that she is being cared for in a rehab type centre, although she has dementia she would be so distressed to know how much it is costing knowing all her savings have been used to fund the place.

Also on most sites I see they reccommend you pay the local authority but in our borough they have requested I pay the home direct. Do other authorities request this?
Many thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
  • All third party top ups are voluntary
  • You have to sign as it is you who is contracting to pay the top ups
  • The LA is correct in assessing your ability to pay a top up - not all LAs do this.
  • The care contract should be with the LA with you paying any agreed top up to them. This way any increase in fees, already above the LA tariff, will have to go to the LA. If you agree to pay 'top up' you will be invoiced for any increase.

Last edited:

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Thanks Nitram,

Of course I entirely understand them making checks to ensure I can pay the top ups but the local authority was quite clear that I pay my top ups directly to the home and not to them. Since my first post I have looked at the form and the contract should be signed by myself, the local authority representative, the service provider and the client.
Surely they don't expect my Mum to sign it too as I have POA. If I am making the top up why should my Mum have to sign it?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Possibly this is a general form which they use for all instances including those where the client has the ability to sign?
My mother has been in a CH for 15 months and I doubt if she can sign her name, she wouldn't understand or follow the request - and even if she did sign, it would be meaningless. I signed all the paperwork as LPA for her self-funded care, she had no input at all.

In your situation I would sign as LPA and note on the paperwork she isn't able to do so. However, if for some bizarre reason they do want her to sign, you don't have to make her aware of costs - you can honestly tell her that she is signing a form to say she agrees that the authorities should pay for it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
>>>this<<<, is a very long guidance document on the care act
If you download and do a search as suggested using additional costs or as the target you will find guidance which may be of use.