Volunteers' Week 2019!

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
Hi everyone, and welcome to Volunteers' Week!

Volunteers' Week is a time to celebrate and say thank you to volunteers for their contributions.

We're taking this opportunity to say thank you and celebrate our wonderful team of Dementia Talking Point volunteers. We certainly couldn't run the service without the hard work and dedication of our Volunteer Hosts and Volunteer Moderators.

Hosts help us to welcome new members to Dementia Talking Point, point people toward helpful information and also help the Moderators and Staff team in flagging issues and helping us support people who are having a difficult time.

Moderators help to keep the community running smoothly by dealing with reports and issues, removing spam and offering helpful information to members.

Interested in finding out more about our volunteer roles? Please email talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

To kick off Volunteers' Week, here's @Izzy's story on why she became a volunteer for Dementia Talking Point:

"I joined Dementia Talking Point in 2003 and became a volunteer around 6 years ago, just after I retired. For a short time I was a volunteer host, and then I became a volunteer moderator. Since then have found it a most rewarding and fulfilling role. I benefited so much from the advice and thoughts from members of the community when I was facing so many difficulties. Now, I am in a position to give back some time and hopefully help other members.

We have a marvelous and supportive team of volunteer hosts and moderators. We are given excellent support from the dedicated Alzheimer’s Society Dementia Talking Point team. I feel that together we provide invaluable support for people with dementia and their carers, and I’m proud to be part of this team." - @Izzy

Please join us in thanking and celebrating our team of volunteer Hosts and Moderators below!

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
Today, as part of Volunteers' Week, we'd like to highlight the below quote. We received this message from a Dementia Talking Point member who wanted to show their appreciation to our wonderful team of volunteers:

"I‘d like to let the all the volunteers know how much your work and efforts are appreciated.

It’s early days for me but I’ve learnt so much, it’s helped me so much. I’m sure I have more patience because of what I’ve gained from TP. And I’ve learnt important things, like we had POA for financial affairs but not health and welfare.

You’re all doing a fantastic job, and I want you all to know how much it’s appreciated.

Thank you."

Please join us in thanking and celebrating our team of volunteer Hosts and Moderators below!​

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
One of our Volunteer Moderators, @Cat27, shares her story on why she became a volunteer for Dementia Talking Point:

"I’ve been a volunteer on Dementia Talking Point for three and a half years now. I joined when my Dad was going through the diagnosis process and I got lots of ideas and support. After a while, the team contacted me asking if I would like to become part of the team and I agreed.

Volunteering allows me to repay the help and support I received, and to ensure the community is a safe space for our members. Dementia Talking Point kept me going, and hopefully my support will help others still going through the dementia journey.

Dementia Talking Point is a lifeline to so many people and I’m humbled to be part of it."

If you'd like to join us in thanking our amazing volunteers, please comment below :)

Interested in finding out more about our volunteer roles? Please email talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to tell you more.

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
One of our longest standing volunteers, @Grannie G, shares her experience of being a member on Dementia Talking Point and why she continues to volunteer for the community after so many years.

"I joined the forum in 2006 and became a volunteer moderator soon after.

I will never cease to be grateful for the help and support I received from this forum while I was struggling with the emotional and physical effects of my husband`s dementia. The only people who really understood were the people here on the forum.

There were people here who were a few steps ahead of us and even though I know no two people with dementia are alike the similarities enabled me to realise I was not the only one struggling to manage our dysfunctional world.

When I read of some of the experiences of current carers now, I feel thoroughly overwhelmed even though I know many of those experiences were mine in previous years.

I still feel I can identify with many carers who post on the forum and I will continue to be a volunteer until I feel I have nothing more to offer."

Would you like to say show your thanks to our volunteers? Feel free to post below :)

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
Thank you to those who have been following along with our 2019 Volunteers Week thread. Today we'd like to highlight the below quote from a member of Dementia Talking Point:

"Getting advice and comfort from yourself and all the other volunteers who make such a difference to anyone who has the care of someone with dementia. I know your efforts are warmly welcomed by members.

Best wishes to you and all the other volunteers who give so much to those in need."

Please join us in thanking and celebrating our team of volunteer Hosts and Moderators below!​

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Thanks to all those who volunteer on this forum. I have noticed that everyone gets a reply, no matter what the query and it means so much to us, especially those of us who are new to this whole dementia thing as it's very confusing and overwhelming (even for those of us without the disease!)

When I first posted I was in a terrible state and I know there are so many people who feel down and are cheered up by fellow forumites and volunteers.

Having been a community manager in the past I know it's not an easy job so thank you very much from me!

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I remember my feeling of gratitude when I got a reply to my first post. It was a ray of sunshine in a very bleak world and I began to realise how Talking Point helped those of us who venture here. Thank you!

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Many thanks to all you lovely volunteers.I used to be a trustee for the Addison's Disease Self Help Group, until having to give that up when my wife was diagnosed with dementia. I therefore realise just how much effort goes into all aspects of organisations like the Alzheimer's Society.

So well done everyone.

Regards
Phil

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thank you for reading my dulcit tones. But more importantly thank you for being online at times when people have needed a few written words in their moment of despair.

Feistywoman

Aug 11, 2018
Enormous thanks to all the volunteers! Forums can be a scary place yet here the volunteers are welcoming and alleviate these fears, thank you

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I too would like to thank everyone on here, volunteers and fellow members. All have been so supportive, the virtual friends on here have been the silver lining on cloudy days, inspiring and funny too. I have learned so much. I cannot imagine life without you all. So thank you.

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
And that brings Volunteers Week 2019 on Dementia Talking Point to an end!

Thank you so much to those who have shown their thanks and appreciation to our volunteers. We certainly couldn't run this service without them and it's great to hear how much you value their support.

If you've read this thread and you're interested in finding out a bit more about our volunteer roles, please get in touch at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk. We'd be happy to tell you more about volunteering for Dementia Talking Point.

We'll leave you with a picture of our Dementia Talking Point family tree, beautifully made and kindly gifted to us by @jaymor, along with her experience volunteering for Dementia Talking Point:

"I never thought about becoming a volunteer, I was the sole carer for my husband and taking on any other commitment was far from my thoughts. I used the forum on a daily basis, taking and giving help. Seven years from diagnosis my husband went into nursing care following 9 weeks in an assessment unit. It was now 2012. In 2013 I was approached by the admin to think about being a host. With my husband in care I now had free time so was honoured to become part of the team. I became a host in November 2013 and 13 months later was asked to become a moderator.

I’m proud to be a part of a team on such an exceptional forum. I have also formed friendships that are so special. A highlight was when I received a private message from a member re a post I had made. For someone to take the time to thank me was special.

If you want to volunteer for anything, just ask ‘what can I do to help?’"

TP family tree.jpg

Thank you :)

Last edited:

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Sophie ok I’m not a Volunteer but I joined the T.P in March 2005 to give my personal views on Dementia & Driving mainly because I already had five years’ experience of communicating with DVLA unfortunately I still read the same questions & answers now not sure if anyone listened to my advice probably not but personally the most important thing today I’m still driving 20 years on after diagnoses

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Yes a big thank you to all who volunteer t9 manage and police this site.

A community of people, all of whom are effected one way or another by this condition this site has given me valuable information, opinions, reassurance and humour. All needed and all very much appreciated.