Oh what a Knight #2

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It is 4 years today since we brought our lovely greyhound into our household, his new home after a career in racing and several months in the rescue kennels. What joy he has brought us in that time. He has borne the stresses of our disintegrating relationship and has been sensitive to our moods. He has been here as a loyal companion when I have most needed some love and care. I am lucky to have his quiet and calm presence (currently asleep as usual), especially now that my wife's move into residential care seems permanent. Our lives have changed in ways I would not have imagined and it is somewhat bittersweet remembering the good times the three of us have had together, even as the sad progression of her dementia robbed us of the person we used to know.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Happy 'gotcha' day to your grey @northumbrian_k .We have recently brought one into our lives on an extended home trial and he's slowly adjusting to life in a house rather than a kennel. I hope your hound continues to bring you lots of joy for years to come. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you with your wife going into care but I hope she can be well-cared for and you can all find some peaceful times.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I had a retired greyhound once - they are the most lovely of pets. People used to say 'But isn't he large?' and I would say 'No, he spends most of his time lay down!' They just seem so happy to be in a family instead of a kennels.
Long may you enjoy each others company.......:)

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@northumbrian_k you are so lucky to have a rescue dog, I wish I still had my lovely boy, he was a delight and I will miss him always. I won't get another now but the memories stay.

nestle

Jul 22, 2016
Southwest but Yorkie by birth
I refer to my canine companion as 'my true hound' , he has provided me with much care and comfort being the sensitive soul he is . Not to mention being a very dutiful night watchman ! Long may you and Knight enjoy each other's company

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
I have a rescue dog. his name is Harry, a German shepherd cross and since my husband went into the nursing home he has been my best friend, I don't know how I would have coped without him. Lx