Chewing/swallowing problems

InnerGeek

Feb 9, 2016
Dad's just moved from moderate to severe alzheimers, so not really late stage just yet. He's got problems with textures, tastes, chewing and swallowing - enough to seriously impact his food choices and he's struggling to retain the 2.5 stone he lost when he was in hospital in March.

We have a SALT coming next week. Are they likely to recommend one of the dysphagia diets straight away or might the suggest something else?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Dad's just moved from moderate to severe alzheimers, so not really late stage just yet. He's got problems with textures, tastes, chewing and swallowing - enough to seriously impact his food choices and he's struggling to retain the 2.5 stone he lost when he was in hospital in March.

We have a SALT coming next week. Are they likely to recommend one of the dysphagia diets straight away or might the suggest something else?

Hi InnerGeek (interesting name)

Wait for SALT to assess and then they will suggest what diet would be appropriate. I know its worrying for you.

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
Hi InnerGeek (interesting name)

Wait for SALT to assess and then they will suggest what diet would be appropriate. I know its worrying for you.

We just had a brilliantly helpful SALT come to a barium swallow X-ray with us (husband is PWD) - she has been assiduous in chasing up doctors and prescriptions over the last few weeks and is a real pleasure to deal with. Referral took a few months though due to loss of paperwork in the various health systems etc Wait to see what yours suggests first and fingers crossed they’re as good kind and helpful as the SALT here.

InnerGeek

Feb 9, 2016
We just had a brilliantly helpful SALT come to a barium swallow X-ray with us (husband is PWD) - she has been assiduous in chasing up doctors and prescriptions over the last few weeks and is a real pleasure to deal with. Referral took a few months though due to loss of paperwork in the various health systems etc Wait to see what yours suggests first and fingers crossed they’re as good kind and helpful as the SALT here.

Thank you, I'm glad you have had such a good experience with your SALT team. This is the one team I've never had dealings with so don't know what to expect, which is what is making me anxious. Did your SALT team go straight to one of the levels of dysphagia diet, or did they recommend anything else before going down that route ?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

The SALT guys tend to be very good in most places, pleased for you :)

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
Thank you, I'm glad you have had such a good experience with your SALT team. This is the one team I've never had dealings with so don't know what to expect, which is what is making me anxious. Did your SALT team go straight to one of the levels of dysphagia diet, or did they recommend anything else before going down that route ?
Oops sorry didn’t check in until now so just seen your question. We have a choking diary to keep to establish pattern (it did) and various thickeners to try for when it gets difficult - not used in anger yet as pattern makes it possible at moment to handle potential problems, I know it’ll change but feel we are prepared at present for when that happens. No change to diet just texture, viscosity, no distractions and timing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC