Two years before the mast

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Can it really be 2 years today since my wife became so violent towards me that I had to call the police? Much of what has happened since then has its roots in that incident and the referral to social services that resulted. It is not that social services did anything, of course, but that dreadful night helped open my eyes to the need to plan for a better future for both of us.

Now, with my wife in residential care, I'm free to enjoy my birthday in the way that suits me for the first time in years. After visiting my wife this morning, I've had an interesting if fruitless afternoon trying to find suitable day care for Knight the greyhound, been to a new dog-friendly cafe, seen a splendid view over the Tyne from an apartment in the famous Byker Wall, and am going out later for a meal in a local and quite posh restaurant. On my own but without the fear of any repercussions ...

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
So you are 21 ++ today :)

on this day 21 ++ years ago you were born to have so many life experiences, bring happiness to all who know you, to have the odd moment of grumpy, to have your character built, to survive come what may, to be exactly who you are, a lovely caring person

May you continue to celebrate your day of birth so we can celebrate in “knowing” you

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Happy Birthday! Quite sure there will be no Fog on the Tyne today!

It is funny how sometime when things break down they can actually result in a break through and give us new insight and energy to go forward. I am glad you are in a happier place and your loving relationship with your wife continues in a new way.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Thanks to all for your best wishes. I have even been able to put my cards on display this year. A good meal out, facing an empty chair, a quick pint in the local pub then home for a cuddle with the hound and the highlights of the Giro d'Italia. A good way to spend my birthday. It is not the same when not shared with my wife, but those days are long gone....

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi @northumbrian_k

Glad to hear you had a nice day.

Sort of with you in spirit, as I managed to get my wife (PWD) down to our local pub last night for a couple of hours. Our friend there is from Blythe and she had her teenage granddaughter staying, so I spent much of the time trying to decipher what they were saying:D.

Best wishes
Phil

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Happy birthday!
Hope you have had a good day.
Could you find a suitable day-care for Knight?
I remember seeing a picture of him. Such a lovely dog.

Hi Margherita, good to hear from you. I've tried a couple of places for day care but neither was suitable. The first one had a chihuahua that Knight might use as a cuddly toy - he throws them in the air but doesn't always catch!. The second had a 9 month old whippet that was far too boisterous for my gentle-natured old lad (Knight, I mean). I don't like leaving him alone for too long but I'm sure I'll find somewhere for him to go. Meanwhile here is another photo of him on the beach:

Tynemouth Christmas Day 2018 (5).jpg

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Happy Birthday. Dinner out at a good pub...sounds wonderful.
Are you going to share the number??? How many years you are celebrating??

I celebrate my birthday on the same day as Clint Eastwood but I'm not as old as him! Let's just say that I was a "post-war baby" like Al Stewart but I'm not as old as him either.