Pressure sores

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH has scoliosis and a very pronounced stoop which has developed over the past few years. He also spends most of his time sat on the sofa now that his mobility is in decline.

This morning while I was showering him I noticed a mark on his spine. It is round, about an inch across, red and slightly sunk into the skin. Is this likely to be a pressure sore? My mum never got any, so I dont know what they look like, or how do deal with them. Do I need to contact someone like a district nurse or his GP?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My OH has scoliosis and a very pronounced stoop which has developed over the past few years. He also spends most of his time sat on the sofa now that his mobility is in decline.

This morning while I was showering him I noticed a mark on his spine. It is round, about an inch across, red and slightly sunk into the skin. Is this likely to be a pressure sore? My mum never got any, so I dont know what they look like, or how do deal with them. Do I need to contact someone like a district nurse or his GP?

Mmm I'd get it checked out especially if he's sitting for long periods. Speak to the GP practice see if someone will fit you in to have a look. You don't want that developing into a deep ulcer.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH got a pressure sore from what I believe to be a defective mattress. I contacted my surgery who in turn rang the community nursing team. They came the same day. Don't delay pressure sores can deteriorate very quickly.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I believe pressure sores start as pink areas. My mother was in a wheelchair for 10 years and never developed a pressure sore. This was due to the vigilance and care of the home. I was once shown a pink mark on Mum's lower back/ top of her backside , which I was told was the start of a pressure sore. It was quickly and easily treated.

Pouli

Feb 9, 2019
Thank you @Palerider and @RosettaT - I will have a word with the surgery.
I should inform your district nursing team as soon as you can. My lot were very hot on skin problems and they should set up a schedule to check progress. They can keep you supplied with a barrier cream called Derma-S. The very best is Cavilon which is too expensive for the NHS - about £14 for the larger tube - but well worth keeping in the cupboard. As others say, don't delay. Nurses told me that once the skin breaks you are in real trouble.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Pressure sores can start as a redden area feeling warm to the touch, depression may be caused my damage by damage below the surface of the skin.

As has been said don't waste any time in informing the GP and asking for an immediate referal to the district nurse - maybe the TV (tissue viability) nurse.
These sores can develop very quickly without appropriate care and treatment.

I had no problem in obtaining Cavilon, both cream and spray on NHS prescription via the GP.

Pouli

Feb 9, 2019
Pressure sores can start as a redden area feeling warm to the touch, depression may be caused my damage by damage below the surface of the skin.

As has been said don't waste any time in informing the GP and asking for an immediate referal to the district nurse - maybe the TV (tissue viability) nurse.
These sores can develop very quickly without appropriate care and treatment.

I had no problem in obtaining Cavilon, both cream and spray on NHS prescription via the GP.
Humph!! My doc wouldn't prescribe it. Amazing the differences according to where you live.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
We are going through this at present, it's starting to clear up.
Special cushions are available, as are Air mattresses, both are necessary, if this is to be stopped.
Do Not Delay!

Bod

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Humph!! My doc wouldn't prescribe it. Amazing the differences according to where you live.

It may be the GP's decision rather than a post code lottery.

I can understand non prescription of generally accepted best medication in the case of things like paracetamol where the admin cost to the NHS is considerably more than the OTC cost, how many non prescription charge exempt people pay £9 for paracetamol rather than buy it OTC?

Expensive on going medication like Cavilon is a different matter, it is available OTC but costs more than £9

Some nurses are nurse practitioners and can prescribe in specific areas.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We are just back from the Nurse Practitioner.
Its not a full blown pressure sore - just an area of pressure, but Ive got some barrier cream (sudocreme rather than Cavillon) and Ive been advised to get a V shaped cushion to take the pressure off his spine when sitting down.

She also said - just make him get up and walk around every half an hour. Mmmm.........

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Well done for asking for expert advice, Sudocreme infers not serious yet

She also said - just make him get up and walk around every half an hour. Mmmm.........

Agreed, may not be that easy, even standing up and sitting down straight away can alter where pressure is applied.
Two pillows can be used before you get suitable a V shaped cushion, suitable is paramount, it has to fit both him and the chair.

Monitor the area closely and don't hesitate to ask for help.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

Yes easier said than done Canary. There is always a risk no matter how hard you try of pressure ulcers. Hat off to you, not easy to always pick up on :)