Court of Protection Deputyship.

Goldie Girl

Oct 20, 2018
West Midlands
I'm hoping someone can help me or at least point me in the right direction of what to read, I have been appointed my Mum's Court of protection Deputy. But had very limited information on what we do next. There are a couple of big bills that will have to be paid I know I have to go to her bank and building society but how does it work? I googled it but it just came up with legal adverts. Thank you

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Do you have any paperwork from the CoP?
This is what you need to take to the Bank, allow them to copy, but you keep the originals. The Bank will then go through their procedure to allow you access to Mums money.
The big bills, could be paid by yourself, then Mum repays you, once the Bank is sorted.

Bod

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
As @Bod says, once you have got the certificate of deputyship from the COP, book an appointment to see the bank manager at your mums bank (or a branch of her bank) and tell them it for COP deputyship. You will be asked to bring the COP certificate and some ID for yourself - exactly what varies from bank to bank, so do ask what you will need.

They will register the deputyship with the bank and you will get a cheque book and credit card with your name on it stating that you are the deputy for [your mums name]. You should receive then within a week or two. The account number etc will remain the same. Bank statements will be sent to your address and you should be able to open an on-line account to manage her account, if you wish.

Once you start using her account do keep all receipts as you are likely to need them later when filling in the annual financial report.

You will probably get a phone call from someone in the Office of Public Guardians to see how you are doing, guide you through problems and answer your queries, but you do not have to wait for this.

Molly Daly-Mathews

Jun 18, 2019
I'm hoping someone can help me or at least point me in the right direction of what to read, I have been appointed my Mum's Court of protection Deputy. But had very limited information on what we do next. There are a couple of big bills that will have to be paid I know I have to go to her bank and building society but how does it work? I googled it but it just came up with legal adverts. Thank you
On receipt of your court Orders you need to lodge them with the banks, insurance companies, stock bond etc so you can be registered to deal with all entities. Once your recognised it should be easy to run all accounts on mums behalf.