Travel insurance to visit son in Singapore

Middletonian

Dec 8, 2017
Our son and his wife live in Singapore and will soon move into their own home and we want to visit them in November/December for 2 weeks. After diagnosis I was advised to inform the insurance company and a £500 cost was the result. This was a holiday in Lanzarote.
My worry is that things can change because of the nature of Alzheimer's. Has anyone any experience with travel insurance to 'rest of the world' places for visiting family? Are there any companies which take on people with Dementia without it costing thousands?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know how advanced your OH's condition is but such a long journey needs to be considered carefully. There will be clock changes and jet lag, strange surroundings, a different culture and climate, to name a few things. Would airport policies confuse him? Will he be able to cope with the journey and the stay in Singapore for any length of time? Will there be people to look after him so you don't have to all the time?

I would recommend to book airport assistance so at least that part will hopefully go smoothly. You might also not be able to book seats in the row with the emergency exits (with the extra legroom) as they need people who sit there to understand stand how to open them if need be. That's just something I was told once.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Our son and his wife live in Singapore and will soon move into their own home and we want to visit them in November/December for 2 weeks. After diagnosis I was advised to inform the insurance company and a £500 cost was the result. This was a holiday in Lanzarote.
My worry is that things can change because of the nature of Alzheimer's. Has anyone any experience with travel insurance to 'rest of the world' places for visiting family? Are there any companies which take on people with Dementia without it costing thousands?

Many travel insurance companies do not provide any sort of cover for mental health conditions. You will often find that the mainstream travel insurance companies will not consider dementia however you may find a smaller more specialized company that will but I'm sorry to say if you are traveling long haul there will be a cost to it.

As beate currently says you need to consider the effect of air travel on the person with dementia. My husband and I flew back from the USA last year it was a 10-hour flight neither of us have dementia but there was a lady with her husband who clearly did have dementia who was on the same flight. She had paid extra money to ensure that she had a seat next to her husband so that he did not get agitated on the flight. We were flying business class so this lady clearly had more room to maneuver and to make sure that her husband was okay. There was a problem on boarding with man's seat it didn't work correctly so the flight crew wanted to move him away from her to another seat. She complained and there was a bit of moving around so they could accommodate him but the important part about this was that he started to get very agitated and it became apparent that this is not resolved quickly he would have had a melt down in the cabin. This began to attract attention from the rest of the passengers. The poor lady had to explain to us and others why her husband was behaving this way. Fortunately the rest of the flight was ok.

olliebel

May 1, 2017
Harlow Essex
I was thinking of taking my H to Thailand to see our son..never thought of insurance or how his reaction would be on such a long flight...this forum is great fotr advice and information..so glad i found you all xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL