Still waiting.........

Flutterby17

Apr 23, 2017
It's a week since my dad was visited at home after his carers reported concerns. My dad expressed suicidal thoughts, social services said it was a medical matter and his GP surgery organised the visit.
After much debating, they started on antibiotics for a UTI, just in case, booked a blood test and stopped 2 of his medications. He's now finished the antibiotics and he's no better. He's still waiting for his urgent blood test!
Today I had to stage a sit in at his GP surgery until someone would speak to me. Everyone that dealt with him last week was off today apparently. When I refused to leave, they left me sat in the waiting room into an admin assistant came to speak to me because no one else would!!

Last week they promised they would inform the chemist of the changes to his medication so that his nomad boxes could be updated. Unless they are up to date, his carers can't give his meds so I have to go twice a day and do it myself ( and we continue to pay £25hr for carers to watch) I chased it up on wed, Thursday, Friday and today. Still not done, I phoned the chemist today and the tech has been chasing it up for me. Drs have told them there's no changes!

When I took him up for his blood test on Thursday, there was a power cut so wasted trip (I don't blame them for that!). My dads mobility is so poor at the moment I had to lift him and his wheelchair over the trestle on the front door, so I asked for a home visit for the bloods as I don't think my back could do that a again just now. Chased it up today, Drs said they'd done their bit on Friday and I would have to take it up with community nursing. Community nursing said they rejected it straight away on Friday because no one specified which bloods! Phoned surgery back and they said they would rebook. I asked if I actually had to take him to a&e to get some help! Of course not she replied!!

The practitioner who saw him last week is coming back to reassess him today. I know his urine dip was clear so no UTI. If she delays it another week because of this blood test, I don't know what I'll do. It may be a trip to a&e for him, or to ask for the crisis team for myself!!!

Apologies for the rant xx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
It's infuriating when medical professionals won't do their jobs properly and turn a crisis into a nightmare! I hope you get some sensible response today..

olliebel

May 1, 2017
Harlow Essex
My husband of 62 is home on his own during the day as i still work no pension till im 67 and no wages from lO. I mentioned to the gp if there was something out there for my LO instead of tv. She mentioned a buddy, a volunteer who would come round and sit and chat with him once or twice a week..this was 5 weeks ago and still havent heard anthing..its not my gp fault as i got a copy of her letter..

Flutterby17

Apr 23, 2017
After 10 days of harassing people to help him, my dad spent his first night in respite last night. I feel emotionally broken, not for dad, I know he's much safer and will get the help he needs. The number of people I had to hassle to help him, the phone calls, the angry conversations, the hoops we've jumped through, the circles we've gone round in. I am exhausted. My mental health has been pushed to limits I didn't know about. As much as I want to support my dad with this transition. I have never felt the need for some space as strongly.