Phones

JoanB

Feb 20, 2016
I am lucky in many ways as my husband (age 76) remains fit, fairly energetic (swimming daily, tennis, skiing etc), although he gets disorientated & his short term memory is very poor - and so I try to balance dignity and independence with safety.
Latest issue is mobile phone - he has had an I-phone for years, used largely for phoning me when out, occasional googling, watsapp with daughter abroad (with help), and 'find friends' useful for me when he gets lost. All good except 3 have been lost in as many months, despite my best attempts to keep tracks on them(along with purses, keys etc).
I am wondering whether anyone knows of any reliable other alarm type system that would enable him to call me and vice versa - and locate him - or whether I should persevere with another mobile phone and try new ways of attaching it to his clothes or body.
I am not that computer-literate, so any sources of advice that one can talk to would be appreciated.
Any suggestions welcomed - Joan

JoanB

Feb 20, 2016
This is the first time I have tried using this website to address current problems - and I don't understand what the following comment actually means. Does it mean I have to put in 10 messages - or that 10 other people have to respond - or what?

'You need 10 posts to add links to your posts.'

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I bought a small leather pouch and attached a lanyard to it with Johns phone. It worked for a while round his neck but everything with dementia is short term so gradually he would take it off or not answer it or worst go out without it.

Debs42

Jan 27, 2013
I am lucky in many ways as my husband (age 76) remains fit, fairly energetic (swimming daily, tennis, skiing etc), although he gets disorientated & his short term memory is very poor - and so I try to balance dignity and independence with safety.
Latest issue is mobile phone - he has had an I-phone for years, used largely for phoning me when out, occasional googling, watsapp with daughter abroad (with help), and 'find friends' useful for me when he gets lost. All good except 3 have been lost in as many months, despite my best attempts to keep tracks on them(along with purses, keys etc).
I am wondering whether anyone knows of any reliable other alarm type system that would enable him to call me and vice versa - and locate him - or whether I should persevere with another mobile phone and try new ways of attaching it to his clothes or body.
I am not that computer-literate, so any sources of advice that one can talk to would be appreciated.
Any suggestions welcomed - Joan

If you have an i-phone too, or an i-pad in the household, there is an app called 'find my i-phone' and as long as the phone is turned on, it will tell you where it is. If it is lost for good, you can also remotely wipe all the data so good security

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
Why not just get him a cheap simple phone? He wont be WhatsApping but can still message daughter.

As he gets worse an iphone will be too complex for him anyway. Three years after diagnosis my OH can no longer use a normal mobile and struggles with his simple Doro dementia phone.

JoanB

Feb 20, 2016
Thanks for helpful suggestions. In the light of one of them, have just bought a small, cheap iPhone holder that clips onto a belt or waistband and will wait to see how long this will work for - he left it in the car last night but I hope this was just teething problems!

JoanB

Feb 20, 2016
If you have an i-phone too, or an i-pad in the household, there is an app called 'find my i-phone' and as long as the phone is turned on, it will tell you where it is. If it is lost for good, you can also remotely wipe all the data so good security
I use 'find my friends' all the time but it gives out when battery flat (if you lose it). Also good for keeping track of family abroad!

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Thanks for helpful suggestions. In the light of one of them, have just bought a small, cheap iPhone holder that clips onto a belt or waistband and will wait to see how long this will work for - he left it in the car last night but I hope this was just teething problems!

That sounds like the best option. The iPhone may be relatively complicated but it is what he's familiar with. People with dementia find it hard to adapt to new things so if you switch to a different phone (even if it's apparently really simple), it may baffle him. Fingers crossed he keeps hold of this one!