Shower vs wet room

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I was going to ask what you had on the walls.
That is wet wall which is a new invention as I far as I know. No issues with mold or grout and it is wipe clean. It comes in sheets and the builder puts it on a base I think. I’m pleased with it after almost two years. My main bathroom is tiled and is a colder finish.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Thanks. I’ll bear that in mind when we finally get round to doing the wet room.

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
This discussion has been brilliant but I wonder if one person has been left out of it? You say that your wife isn't too bad at the moment. I'm not too bad at the moment either, but I know that if I thought the whole world had been discussing what would work for me and me not having given an opinion I would be furious.
For what its worth though while I like open space I do like the walls not to be too far away so an enormous wet room wouldn't work for me.
As my wife who is also reading this says controls away from the shower are a good idea. Shes thinking of the fact that I forgot the order of things this morning. Got in the shower with trousers on (good ones because we were going out) pj top and razor. I truned the shower on and got very wet. Luckily the razor works wet.
Its taken a good while to come round from that one and we didn't go out.

Nosras

Sep 20, 2013
I am an Occupational Therapist and also a carer for my husband who was diagnosed at 55 with Alzheimer's. He is now 61. I would always recommend that if someone is thinking of going to the expense of altering their showering facilities they should always go for the option of a wet room. In this way every eventuality will be covered. It is always worth going to the GP to ask for an assessment from an Occupational Therapist who can assess and advise about the best option for your wife.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I found, when trying to shower Mum, that the flap down seat, attached to the wall was irksome- she was always too close to the wall, especially if rear end needed attention.

We went over to a shower chair type arrangement- It also had arms which made standing apres shower much easier. Later on, the fact that it was wheeled became useful, I could move her to dry her, instead of being in the wet

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hi.. I've only just converted our bathroom to a wetroom and so far I have no regrets. My wife has mobility and balance problems so one of the carers suggested sitting in the bath rather than standing reducing the risk of falling . Fine until one day she just couldn't stand up to get out. So on the advice from the nhs 111 line an ambulance was sent. We were then lent a battery powered chair for the bath. As a stop gap measure that was fine. But my mind was made up. A wet room . It's now complete and she actually enjoys showering now. With a fold up seat fastened to the wall , a half height shower screen, grab handles and an easily adjusted and removable shower head life is much easier . I've also just bought a shampoo shield, shower and hair washing is no longer a chore. The carers give it 10/10 Best decision I've made for a long time. And that's coming from someone who can't seem to get anything right of late ☺ Al.

Great information here, I am going to get a wet room for my mum but would never have thought about half height doors etc. Thanks :)

olliebel

May 1, 2017
Harlow Essex
Hi, my wife who is 57, has early onset Az. She is not too bad at the moment but is beginning to experience some mobility issues. In particular she is finding it hard to use our shower, which is above the bath. She has not been able to use a bath for a few years as she has two hip replacements. It is obvious that we need something different to enable her to keep clean (she is beginning to have some continence problems as well).
My question is, what have others found works? The bathroom will have to be modified so do I go for a disabled shower cubicle with a seat or a wet room? I can see that, in time, a cubicle could be a frightening thing for her to use, even if I got in with her, or am I wrong in thinking that?? Any advice welcome!
I decided on a wet room when my husband was diagnosed, and we love it..it is so easy and i can help him easier in the shower..no regrets

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix77