Sundowning.

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
My mum moved in with me on Wednesdays, she seems settled and happy to be here but, she has started what is probably sundowning.
She may well have been doing it a while at home alone but it didnt happen the first couple of nights here so possibly just slept well out of exhaustion following the move.
Mum is deaf and has hearing aids but complains of her head whirring so takes then out meaning soothing words dont help as she cant hear. I am currently sat beside her bed stroking her hand when she wakes as she is clearly distressed and confused.
She seems disturbed even when apparently asleep, and moans and moves before waking and forcing herself to sit up.
She wants to get out of here, because its messy ( it isnt) and because there is too much going on ( there isnt) she cant watch t as she cant follow it ( and cant hear it) she also has limited mobility so l am on constant alert in case she wanders ( and falls) so couple of questions.
Has anyone found a glass of wine helps, all info says steer clear but keen to know if that is good advice.
Is this a passing phase, or indefinite?
Does it last for hours are there 'usual' time frames per evening till PWD finally settle?
When she moved l moved her own spare room furniture, a single bed ( with trundle bed under) l can see me sleeping in the same room on the smaller bed but also wondered if anyone had found it comforted PWD to be in bed along side them. I would happily move in a larger bed and sleep next to her if l thought it would help.
Any other tips. Things other than standard advice that might work?
I work full time so sleep is important to me too..

Last edited:

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @Ohso

I never experienced sundowning with my dad probably because I didn't live with him but I do know he was up all night as my sister sometimes used to stay. She used to give him a glass of wine with evening dinner but I don't think it made much difference. We had to avoid alcohol completely in the later stages though.

Someone recently said a whisky toddy settled their PWD to a good night's sleep when nothing else had helped (including medication).

Anything's worth a try.

bmca

Nov 11, 2018
My mum moved in with me on Wednesdays, she seems settled and happy to be here but, she has started what is probably sundowning.
She may well have been doing it a while at home alone but it didnt happen the first couple of nights here so possibly just slept well out of exhaustion following the move.
Mum is deaf and has hearing aids but complains of her head whirring so takes then out meaning soothing words dont help as she cant hear. I am currently sat beside her bed stroking her hand when she wakes as she is clearly distressed and confused.
She seems disturbed even when apparently asleep, and moans and moves before waking and forcing herself to sit up.
She wants to get out of here, because its messy ( it isnt) and because there is too much going on ( there isnt) she cant watch t as she cant follow it ( and cant hear it) she also has limited mobility so l am on constant alert in case she wanders ( and falls) so couple of questions.
Has anyone found a glass of wine helps, all info says steer clear but keen to know if that is good advice.
Is this a passing phase, or indefinite?
Does it last for hours are there 'usual' time frames per evening till PWD finally settle?
When she moved l moved her own spare room furniture, a single bed ( with trundle bed under) l can see me sleeping in the same room on the smaller bed but also wondered if anyone had found it comforted PWD to be in bed along side them. I would happily move in a larger bed and sleep next to her if l thought it would help.
Any other tips. Things other than standard advice that might work?
I work full time so sleep is important to me too..

bmca

Nov 11, 2018
My brother started sun downing a year ago. He was constantly worn out with all the shouting and walking. His emotions were all over the place. Not sleeping. Hallucinations, walkabouts, anger and constant attention. I gave him CBD Oil and although he still has all these problems they have become so reduced in strength that they are manageable. Maybe they could help your mother. They are legal and can be bought on line or in Holland and Barratt. Has anyone else tries CBD Oils and if so what were the findings?

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
Well, now I dont know what to think, after a stressful anxious night on Saturday with mum wandering in and out of rooms and generally being unsettled, I decided to sit with her all night last night, so for about 2-3 hours she was sitting up, wishing she was dead, crying and just looking utterly frightened about the feelings and thought going on for her. she complained of a headache so I gave paracetamol and after a final visit to the toilet she settled about 11( she slept fitfully before that each time waking up distressed and though her brain was overactive and causing her to wake.
Then I got myself settled in to the arm chair and waited....and....nothing, so spent a very uncomfortable night, thinking she would be up and she wasn't, in fact she has slept so well that I had to wake her or some breakfast and a drink and she went back to sleep and had to be awakened again at 1.30pm for lunch by her carer.
I would like to think that it was the instant comfort and reassurance I was able to give her by sitting with her as then I would do that each night to help her feel safe and secure but something tells me that it was a fluke and tonight will be different again.
I have read all the advice and will think about trying a glass of wine if there is a night when it is appropriate to try.
I realise it is also very early days in relation to a huge change for her, moving in to mine, so will give it a few more weeks for her to settle into a routine as that is supposed to help too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, this site is my saviour. x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968