Can someone explain this to me.?..............

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
My recent birthday...I commented to OH that the Postmark contained congratulations to TRH Duke and Duchess of Sussex on birth of their son , I thought no more of it!
OH is now adamant that I received a birthday card from the royal family........I realised that what I said had sown a seed about royalty BUThe is insistent that I have hidden the card.
I have explained about the postmark but of course, that is irrelevant. I tried to explain that the royal family wouldn’t be sending me a birthday greeting but he cannot believe that either.....
I can understand the original mistake but cannot understand that he can think and believe that member of royalty would send greetings to me!!,
Is this the symptom of another stage or something similar?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
That sounds like a confabulation that has morphed into a delusion!

My wife confabulates a lot - because I have told her tales from my student days she now tells me that she sat in the same lectures as myself.

I just go along with it until it fades from her memory. No point in sweating it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It's just a symptom of deceasing cognition.

Ultimate solution is to join his world, get a card, sign it appropriately and then 'find' it.

Beware that, crazy as it may seem, he might expect one on his birthday.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When India launched a moon mission in October 2008 my Indian husband, who was then in the middle stages, was convinced it was launched by members of his family.

He wanted the whole of our UK family to go to India to share the glory. He kept asking what I would wear and even told me to buy a hat. :)

This delusion continued until the mission failed in August 2009.

We all went along with it because it gave him so much pleasure.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I bought OH a photograph book of the town he grew up in. He is convinced members of his family are in there. They are not, though his late uncle's shop is in one picture

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its a confabulation - a sort of false memory produced by a defective brain trying to make sense of the gaps in the memory. Hes remembered a couple of bits, but its all got muddled up in his mind, so his subconscious has tried to sort it out. Hes not making it up on purpose and he truly believes it because the false memory is indistinguishable from the real thing

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
One of my mums confabulations was not based on a false memory but was more of a premonition! Mum still manages to go to all home games at Manchester City and since Christmas she has been saying that City were winners of the Premier League again and also the FA cup! In fact, when she first started saying this, City were not actually top!

It was actually a sad day for our family on Saturday as this was the first time in my memory that she was not at Wembly to cheer them on. My brother has taken her previously but it was apparent that the journey involving an over night stay is now too much for her, her confusion increases when away from her familiar surroundings. She was aware of the match and on Saturday morning phoned my brother to find out what time he was picking her up to take her. He was actually already at Wembly but luckily his MIL answered and just told Mum that he was out for the day.

We're just about to renew her season ticket for next season but I honestly think it might be the last year that she manages to go - after 65 years of watching them play, first with my dad and now with my brother.

Antipat

May 20, 2019
My recent birthday...I commented to OH that the Postmark contained congratulations to TRH Duke and Duchess of Sussex on birth of their son , I thought no more of it!
OH is now adamant that I received a birthday card from the royal family........I realised that what I said had sown a seed about royalty BUThe is insistent that I have hidden the card.
I have explained about the postmark but of course, that is irrelevant. I tried to explain that the royal family wouldn’t be sending me a birthday greeting but he cannot believe that either.....
I can understand the original mistake but cannot understand that he can think and believe that member of royalty would send greetings to me!!,

Antipat

May 20, 2019
I find When my husband with dementia , gets stuck on a subject like that … I try to redirect him . It sometimes works … other times he keeps coming back to the subject

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
My hubby had strange delusions for a few years. Every time we went somewhere and visited people (not part of our usual circle) He would say he moved them into the flat they were living in.
Even in Greece, we were visiting young friends and he insisted he had stayed in the flat they were living in on a previous trip.
All part and parcel of the journey....delusions and misconceptions as different parts of the brain die off or are affected by the disease. He no longer does this.

Lladro

May 1, 2019

Hi, when ever we go out, my wife will say something like "that women is always walking down here wearing that same coat" or " I recognise this place, I was here a few weeks ago" - when we have never seen that women before or have never been to that place. It's the opposite to not recognising people and places that she does know - weird ! Confabulation happens all of the time, the brain seems to grab onto a small part of a memory, can't join the dots properly, so it seems to fill in the gaps all by itself and complete a false scenario - this seems complete reality to the person concerned. It's difficult sometimes, but I've found the best solution is just to agree or just say "really? I didn't know that". It passes and their mind moves on to another subject - sometimes real and sometimes imagined! It just seems to be what happens. Kind regards

Lillyboo

Aug 1, 2015
Me and my OH have recently returned from Jamaica.. Rather a difficult night flight coming home, we sat in a row of 3, a male happened to be 3rd on the row..oh dear my OH was insistent that I knew him and was infact having an affair. the passenger was not happy and infact caused a rumpus on the flight and was taken off the flight in Birmingham by the police.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Me and my OH have recently returned from Jamaica.. Rather a difficult night flight coming home, we sat in a row of 3, a male happened to be 3rd on the row..oh dear my OH was insistent that I knew him and was infact having an affair. the passenger was not happy and infact caused a rumpus on the flight and was taken off the flight in Birmingham by the police.

What a horrible experience for you!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Oh dear me that is an extreme situation you were in. Who could have prepared for something like that!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson